ethan-davies
15th July 2019

UoM warns students to stay “vigilant” after phishing scam

It’s thought a small number of students have been targetted
Photo: Pexels

The University of Manchester has warned international students to stay vigilant after they have become the target of an email phishing scam.

It’s thought that the scam has been specially aimed at pre-sessional language students who arrive at University early in order to go on an intensive English language course before their classes start in September.

A University of Manchester spokesperson said: “The University has been made aware of an email phishing scam that is targeting incoming international students. A small number of students have received a fake invoice via email requesting they pay for mandatory services for their arrival in Manchester.

“The emails offer services such as airport transfers, campus and city tours, accommodation advice, and access to safety services. We offer all these services to students for free and would never ask students for any payments of this kind via email. These emails can look genuine as the invoices include our logos and come from copycat [email] addresses such as @university-of-manchester.ac.uk, or @student-support.co.uk.

“But we advise students to be extremely vigilant when checking correspondence with the University and if they receive a suspicious email, do not click on any links or reply and make the University aware immediately. Students can find out more online on our Welcome pages under the ‘international’ tab.

“The safety and well-being of our current and prospective students, both on and offline, is of utmost importance to us and they can be assured the University is working diligently with all relevant parties to ensure we get to the bottom of this scam as quickly as possible”.

This is a developing story, with more to follow.

A rundown of LeadMCR election results night

The eight new SU Exec Officers were revealed on March 7 after two weeks of campaigning, as well as the seven NUS Representatives and the winners of the Union’s LeadMCR Alternative Awards

College Roundup: US edition

Enjoying this year’s University Round-ups? Here you can have a look across the pond at some of the drama from American Colleges

Manchester researchers find majority of women experience abuse while running

Over two-thirds of women in the study had been abused while running, with 58% reporting verbal abuse

Your new Exec team: LeadMCR 2024 results

Eight Exec Officers and seven NUS reps have been elected for LeadMCR 2024/25