• UoM named top university for UK graduate employability

ayazoeatallah

UoM named top university for UK graduate employability

The University of Manchester has been praised by The Sunday Times’ Good University Guide for its curriculum, as well as employability schemes such as Stellify
Photo: Stephen Richards @geograph

The University of Manchester has been named University of the Year for Graduate Employment in the UK in The Sunday Times’ Good University Guide. The guide also sees the University’s overall ranking go up one place, from 19th in the country last year, to 18th this year.

Editor of The Times and The Sunday Times, Alastair McCall, praised Manchester the graduates and the University’s curriculum, saying: “Among the top 100 graduate employers, it was Manchester students that ticked most boxes.”

“[Manchester] students leave with degrees from a world-class institution having benefited from a curriculum that is tailored to both academic excellence and providing students with the skills that make them immediately useful in the workplace.”

The figures are based on this year’s Graduate Market 2019 report by High Fliers Research.

The guide praised the University’s Stellify programme, in particular, which McCall said “helps ensure that Manchester students do not emerge blinking into the light from their ivory tower, but hit the ground running with employers regionally, nationally and internationally.” Stellify aims to integrate ethical grand challenges into academic degrees so that students are able to emerge into the employment world prepared and aware of real-life challenges.

Nancy Rothwell, President and Vice-Chancellor of the university expressed her pride in both the students and the staff: “I’m delighted with this award and would like to thank all our staff and students for their hard work in helping us achieve it.

“This latest achievement is a testament to the huge effort our staff put into helping our students thrive and succeed once they graduate and enter the world of work. It also, of course, demonstrates the excellent calibre and work ethic of our students.”

“Appetite” for escalation, says UoM Rent Strike

The University of Manchester Rent Strike claims to have withheld half a million pounds in rent, and have threatened to escalate the strike further