joshsandy

Grimmfest 2019: Little Monsters

Abe Forsythe’s zom-com Little Monsters is a hilarious, heartwarming and riotously fun addition to Grimmfest’s 2019 line-up, writes Deputy Film Editor Josh Sandy
Grimmfest 2019: Little Monsters
Photo: courtesy of Grimmfest

Traditionally, history has not been kind to the genre of horror-comedy. For every Shaun of the Dead and What We Do in the Shadows there seemingly exists dozens of dreary humourless efforts that give the entire genre its unfortunately poor reputation.

Thankfully, writer-director Abe Forsythe’s zom-com Little Monsters has skilfully navigated this potentially perilous ground with huge success, to deliver a hilarious, heart-warming and riotously fun addition to the genre.

The film, which follows failed musician Dave (Alexander England) as he accompanies his young nephew on a kindergarten trip to impress the class’ charming teacher Miss Caroline (Lupita Nyong’o), is a masterclass in tonal shift.

Hiding the film’s true motives behind a classic rom-com formula, only for a spectacularly bloody zombie invasion to arrive, could have been jarring but, instead, is a glorious reflection of the film’s slightly surreal aesthetic.

Although both Nyong’o and England’s performances are worthy of high praise, the show is ultimately stolen by Josh Gad’s disgustingly over-the-top and beautifully debauched children’s TV host Teddy McGiggle, who provides the perfect foil to keep the film’s romance from descending into a saccharine daydream.

In many ways, Little Monsters has it all. Its near-perfect blend of horror and comedy is an utter delight to watch and makes the film a true hidden gem of this year’s Grimmfest line-up.

4.5/5.

Tár review: Power perverts art

Todd Field’s thrilling Tár is a refreshing take on the obsessed artist trope featuring a captivating performance by Cate Blanchett

Global Cinema Series: Touching Down in Japan

The Mancunion film team explore how Japanese film has captured audiences’ imagination and examines Japan as a titan of global cinema

HOME’s homage to Julie Christie this British Film Stars season

HOME cinema embraces the Swinging Sixties with an ode to Julie Christie during its British Film Stars season

‘Tis the Season for Cheesy Christmas Movies!

The Mancunion have compiled a comprehensive list of the cheesiest movies to watch this Christmas, complete with cheese ratings