tobysoar

HOME Season: Adaptation: Impossible Novels

HOME’s latest “Adaptation: Impossible Novels” season champions adaptations of books that stand toe-to-toe with their source materials, against all odds
Photo: courtesy of HOME

The jump of a story from the page to the silver screen poses a monumental challenge for screenwriters and filmmakers. So much detail is lost to the streamlining process in the writing room, secondary storylines are omitted completely, and, sometimes, important quotes don’t quite make the cut.

However, some film adaptations of books go against all odds and manage stand toe-to-toe with their source materials — and some even surpass their paper forefathers. These are the films that are championed at HOME’s “Adaptation: Impossible Novels” season.

The season started earlier this month but will be running until Sunday 23 February. The films showing later this month are:

Ulysses (1967) – Wednesday 12 February, 18:00.

Naked Lunch (1991) – Sunday 16 February, 13:00.

Where the Wild Things Are (2009) – Sunday 23 February, 11:00.

Norwegian Wood (2010) – Sunday 23 February, 15:20.

Tickets for every film are available on HOME’s website.

Eyes Wide Shut 25 years on: A feast for the eyes, a nightmare for the mind

As part of Cultplex’s on-going Movie Church series, fans of Stanley Kubrick’s Eyes Wide Shut celebrate his beautifully nightmare-ish film 25 years on

Mothers’ Instinct review: How far will you go to protect your family?

Academy Award Winners Anne Hathaway and Jessica Chastain have a 1960s face-off in this eerie, twisted game of cat-and-mouse

My formative film: Sprinkles of Stardust can be seen everywhere

How Ian McKellan’s narration, Robert De Niro in drag, and Mark Strong in a matted wig makes Stardust the perfect fantasy film

Jurassic Park: T-Rexcellent or bit of a Dino-snore?

Does Jurassic Park still hold up or would Spielberg have been better off leaving the dinosaurs extinct?