jamesgilmour

University announces shift towards ethical procurement

The University says it is leading the way in ethical procurement as it becomes the first UK higher education institution to adopt the Social Value Portal
Photo: Stephen Richards @geograph

A change in procurement policy will see the University of Manchester embrace a new form of ethical procurement, becoming the first UK higher education institution to adopt the Social Value Portal.

The portal will allow the university to prioritise aims such as promoting local jobs, community wellbeing and environmentally sustainable practices, in line with the goals of the Social Value Act of 2012.

The decision was welcomed by Greater Manchester Combined Authority Chief Executive, Eamon Boyle: “The University of Manchester is one of the biggest spenders and employers in our city region so I’m delighted it’s becoming the first University to adopt the use of the Social Value Portal. Joining other local authorities in Greater Manchester by using this tool, they are showing their commitment to benefiting local people and businesses from their procurement plans.”

Procurement policy has become the subject of sustained political debate in recent years. The so-called “Preston model”, saw the Lancashire council, in partnership with local “anchor” institutions like the University of Central Lancashire, prioritising local businesses for contracts and services. Proponents of the model argue that the slightly higher costs are worthwhile in order to boost local economies.

The University of Manchester’s Social Responsibility Director, Dr Julian Skyrme, claimed that the institution is leading the way in socially responsible procurement. He also highlighted the creation of “more than 200 local jobs and a record £19.7 million of social value” through the Manchester Engineering Campus construction contract signed with Balfour Beatty.

The decision brings the University in line with local authorities in Manchester, who have committed to social value weighting in procurement since 2015, increasing the percentage of supply spending going to Manchester organisations from 50% to 71% over the last ten years.

A rundown of LeadMCR election results night

The eight new SU Exec Officers were revealed on March 7 after two weeks of campaigning, as well as the seven NUS Representatives and the winners of the Union’s LeadMCR Alternative Awards

College Roundup: US edition

Enjoying this year’s University Round-ups? Here you can have a look across the pond at some of the drama from American Colleges

Manchester researchers find majority of women experience abuse while running

Over two-thirds of women in the study had been abused while running, with 58% reporting verbal abuse

Your new Exec team: LeadMCR 2024 results

Eight Exec Officers and seven NUS reps have been elected for LeadMCR 2024/25