rosieplunkett

Art in Mancunia: Ryan Gear

Ryan Gear is using photography to let us freely interpret in a world oversaturated with images
Art in Mancunia: Ryan Gear
Photo: Ryan Gear

Amid the mass of digital image production within the modern age, it is now, more than ever,  difficult to create meaningful relationships with images. We are constantly bombarded with visual stimuli, from social media to advertisements. Ryan Gear, a third-year undergraduate student, is attempting to address our changing relationship with photography. Fearing that we may have lost a connection to meaningful images through our constant exposure to them, Ryan works to produce a platform for his audience to create an independent narrative and interpretation of his images. 

Photo: Ryan Gear

Gear describes his work as a process of “re-engaging people with photographs and the viewing experience they can offer by creating images which exist to provoke, resisting people’s almost unconscious search for rationality when viewing images to allow room for contemplation to thrive.” There is not a correct way to view Ryan’s work, as the images offer a welcome break from the need to understand and interpret the correct meaning within images we come across. Often, the fear of being wrong can block us from thinking freely about photography and independently interpreting a piece. 

Photo: Ryan Gear

These images allow us a glimpse into how Ryan views the world, where colours and creation take center stage. Images of street corners or simple shadows demonstrate his keen eye, inventive imagination, and ability to see the potential within the mundane. He uses photography to repurpose the ordinary as art; you are free to interpret each work. The ball, as Ryan stresses, is completely within your court. The baton of creative freedom is passed as the work is given from the artist to the consumer, allowing us to roam and interpret within a world Ryan has created. He has provided us with the visuals; all we must do now is let our imagination run free to create a narrative.  Our engagement is essential to the work as we must search for our own meanings and put the time into contemplating the scenes before us. Ryan’s work is of the active kind: passive viewing has no place within the experience. 

Photo: Ryan Gear
Photo: Ryan Gear

After becoming used to being spoonfed images and their meanings in our day to day life, Ryan’s work is a refreshing experience and an opportunity to engage with photography. You can find more of Ryan’s work on his website or Instagram: @ryanjgear.vision

A celebration of Jewish art in Manchester: Introducing Synagogue Scratch

This month, Synagogue Scratch is returning to Manchester Jewish Museum. The series represents a unique opportunity to enjoy new, groundbreaking performances by Jewish artists, in the museum’s beautifully preserved 1874 Synagogue.

Making Manchester #3: Eleanor Haigh

Performing across the UK from Edinburgh Fringe to London, Eleanor Haigh embraces the spotlight with a multitude of talent. She breaks down what draws her to the arts and the biggest challenges facing artists today.

Horoscopes: Art meets star signs

This week we’re helping you align your planets with paintings. Check out the artist whose style suits your star sign.

Making Manchester #2: Laurent Swyngedauw

Continuing our Mancunian series, Laurent Swyngedauw tells us the best spots for capturing great shots in Manchester, and how make a photograph your own