joshsandiford
24th July 2020

UoM plans Zoom pause after half a million meetings

The University said employees should use the time to learn something new
Photo: Bradshaw79 @ Wikimedia commmons (Adapted)

Manchester University staff have been told to postpone non-essential online meetings and recharge their batteries after spending a combined 70 million minutes in Zoom calls over lockdown.

The University said employees should “take the opportunity to reduce their meeting commitments” for the next fortnight and use the time to learn something new and maintain wellbeing following a “challenging year”.

At least 500,000 Zoom meetings have taken place across the university since March, totalling over 70 million minutes. These figures are thought to include online meetings for all purposes such as virtual open days and student office hours.

In addition to the two-week ‘meeting light’ period, staff were granted an additional day of paid leave in recognition of their “exceptional efforts during these challenging times”.

The University said staff could use the additional time to watch ‘wellbeing lectures’ to unwind and launched ‘self-development’ platforms to help them “learn something new”.

The move is in line with a focus on increasing staff wellbeing as more staff work from home.

A post on the university’s staff system read: “We’d like to remind colleagues to take the opportunity to reduce their meetings commitments in the weeks beginning 27th of July and 3rd of August.

“In recognition of the exceptional efforts being made by our staff during these challenging times, an additional day of paid leave has been granted on Friday, 24th July.

“In the following two weeks, we are encouraging staff to postpone non-essential online meetings or calls that are planned during this time.

“We have a huge range of resources available if you’d like to maximise this time to learn something new, or maintain your wellbeing.”

Staff have been working from home since March, when face-to-face teaching was halted following the coronavirus outbreak.

It’s believed University and Students’ Union staff will continue working from home until the 1st of September with a phased return at the beginning of the academic year.

Josh Sandiford

Josh Sandiford

Deputy Editor

A rundown of LeadMCR election results night

The eight new SU Exec Officers were revealed on March 7 after two weeks of campaigning, as well as the seven NUS Representatives and the winners of the Union’s LeadMCR Alternative Awards

College Roundup: US edition

Enjoying this year’s University Round-ups? Here you can have a look across the pond at some of the drama from American Colleges

Manchester researchers find majority of women experience abuse while running

Over two-thirds of women in the study had been abused while running, with 58% reporting verbal abuse

Your new Exec team: LeadMCR 2024 results

Eight Exec Officers and seven NUS reps have been elected for LeadMCR 2024/25