rubym

Festive treats: Cinnamon Palmiers

This is a delicious Christmas twist on a beloved pastry, guaranteed to impress your family and friends wherever you are
Festive treats: Cinnamon Palmiers
Photo: Ruby Martin

Cinnamon palmiers are a super easy festive twist on my favourite kind of pastry, and excellent as a sweet treat to impress your family (or five friends in an outdoor space)! 

Most pre-made pastry sold in supermarkets happens just so happens to be vegan, so these cinnamon palmiers can also easily be made fully plant-based by substituting butter for a non-dairy alternative.

Ingredients

Ready-made puff pastry

Sugar 

Melted butter 

Cinnamon

Method

1. Preheat your oven

2. Take your puff pastry out of the fridge and let it warm up for about 10 mins

3. Melt your butter. 

4. Mix your cinnamon and sugar in a bowl. I don’t tend to have precise measurements as it depends on how cinnamon-y you want, so I would just add some cinnamon and taste and add more as appropriate. Spread half the melted butter on one side, making sure to coat all of it, then add the cinnamon sugar mix, making sure to spread it to the edges.

5. Carefully flip the pastry over and repeat step three.

6. Once both sides are coated, take the shorter ends and roll them at the same time towards the middle until they meet each other, as if it’s a scroll. If you look at the end you should have a vague heart shape, like below.

Photo: Ruby Martin

7.  Put baking paper onto a baking tray. Depending on whether you  like your palmiers crisp and hard or soft and chewy in the centre will change how thick you cut them. Thinner if you like them crisp, thicker for chewiness. Slice them and lay each slice down on the baking tray like so:

cinnamon palmiers
Photo: Ruby Martin

8. Cooking time depends on your oven and thickness, but once one side is golden brown, flip it over. Once both sides are done, take them out and leave to cool.

There you have it, cinnamon palmiers – the perfect delicious yet sophisticated holiday treat and no one needs to know you did not make the pastry yourself!

Rusholme’s finest sandwich is the Kurdish shawarma at Al-Zain

This Curry Mile favourite serves shawarma and beautifully fresh salad in freshly baked bread, and its affordable food is some of Manchester’s best

Pancake day: Two recipes to enjoy on February 13

February 13 is the traditional Pancake Day, so here are two recipes and some inspiration for making and enjoying some pancakes, either with your housemates, friends or on your own

A foodie’s guide to celebrating Chinese New Year in Manchester

2024, the Year of the Dragon – here are all of our recommendations for where to celebrate in style in Manchester

Boogie on down to The Blues Kitchen’s all-new Friday happy hour

£6 cocktails, free chicken wings and live music: The Blues Kitchen’s Friday happy hour is an offer you won’t be able to resist