Manchester Forecast

Latest News:
Manchester Mancunion Logo

// Breaking News:

University of Manchester buildings re-open after flooding causes disruption

//Breaking: University of Manchester buildings re-open after flooding causes disruption More

// Breaking News:

Breaking News: Oxford Road closed due to burst pipe

//Breaking: Breaking News: Oxford Road closed due to burst pipe More

sandwiches from pops sarnies

Pops Sarnies: A packed lunch with a conscience

Final year Accounting and Finance student Josh Hay has started a new packed lunch business called ‘Pops Sarnies’. Students can pick up a homemade sandwich from campus for just £2 with all profits going to Manchester Central Foodbank.

Josh realised that many students studying in the library and on campus were spending up to £7 on meal deals from supermarkets and cafes. He decided that he could make something much cheaper for students whilst also giving back to help those in need.

Photo: @pops.sarnies

Wondering what flavour sandwiches are on offer?

Pops Sarnies are branching out with lots of new sandwich combos from your classic ham, cheese, tomato and lettuce to some new flavours including fresh avocado, bacon and a homemade honey and mustard dressing! And let me tell you…they are delicious!

Photo: Jess Walmsley

During the pandemic there has been an increase in those relying on food banks due to job losses and economic declines. So, by buying just one sandwich from Pops Sarnies, you can help someone else make their lunch.

“It’s a win win situation, students can save some money and buy a cheaper lunch, and the money is donated to an amazing cause”

Josh Hay, founder of Pops Sarnies

Pops Sarnies will be running for another five weeks until the end of exams, and here’s how you can order one:

• Follow @pops.sarnies on Instagram
  • Fill out the google form with the list of potential sandwich flavours before 7pm for next day sandwich pick up
  • Transfer £2 through PayPal
  • Meet Josh on campus to pick up your lunch

So far, Josh has sold approximately 70 sandwiches a week and hopes that by the end of the next five weeks he will be able to donate up to £600 to Manchester Central Foodbank.

Tags: charity, foodbank, lunch on campus, mealdeal, packed lunch, student life

Jess Walmsley

Editor-in-Chief