and
  • Samuel Alexander occupation ends: In pictures

joemcfadden

Samuel Alexander occupation ends: In pictures

For 9 months now, the University of Manchester has been a hotbed of unrest and scandals. On Monday 10th May, students held another protest with the intent of expressing their anger at the university they perceive to have failed them. The protest began outside the then-Occupied Samuel Alexander building. The building had been occupied for […]

For 9 months now, the University of Manchester has been a hotbed of unrest and scandals. On Monday 10th May, students held another protest with the intent of expressing their anger at the university they perceive to have failed them.

The protest began outside the then-Occupied Samuel Alexander building. The building had been occupied for over 2 weeks, making it Manchester’s longest occupation since the 1970s. Students from the protest groups Nancy Out, UoM Rent Strike and Cops off Campus amongst others had staged the occupation in response to the University’s mishandling of their pandemic response and the treatment of students this academic year. The group’s demands included a 30% rent rebate for semester 2, the democratisation of Manchester’s senior leadership and an end to the police patrols around Fallowfield campus.

During the protest, the occupiers left the building after being threatened with legal action by the university, despite not having achieved any of their goals. This didn’t seem to faze them, however, because the group lept into action by leading the crowds gathered outside the Sam Alex in a series of chants and speeches all connected by one underlying theme: Fuck UoM.

Photo: Antonio Ross @ The Mancunion
Photo: Antonio Ross @ The Mancunion
Photo: Antonio Ross @ The Mancunion
Photo: Antonio Ross @ The Mancunion
Photo: Antonio Ross @ The Mancunion
Photo: Antonio Ross @ The Mancunion
Joe McFadden

Joe McFadden

Managing Editor (2022/23)

Teenager murders 19 children in Texas School Shooting

On Robb Elemetary’s last day before summer break, a teenage gunman entered the school, murdering 14 children and one teacher.