joemcfadden

Samuel Alexander occupation ends: In pictures

The occupation of the Samuel Alexander building ended with a protest by Nancy Out, UoM Rent Strike, and Cops off Campus – here’s what it looked like
Photo: Antonio Ross @ The Mancunion

For nine months now, the University of Manchester has been a hotbed of unrest and scandals. On Monday May 10, students held another protest with the intent of expressing their anger at the university they perceive to have failed them.

The protest began outside the then-Occupied Samuel Alexander building. The building had been occupied for over 2 weeks, making it Manchester’s longest occupation since the 1970s. Students from the protest groups Nancy Out, UoM Rent Strike, and Cops off Campus amongst others had staged the occupation in response to the University’s mishandling of their pandemic response and the treatment of students this academic year. The group’s demands included a 30% rent rebate for semester two, the democratisation of Manchester’s senior leadership and an end to the police patrols around Fallowfield campus.

During the protest, the occupiers left the building after being threatened with legal action by the university, despite not having achieved any of their goals. This didn’t seem to faze them, however, because the group leapt into action by leading the crowds gathered outside the Sam Alex in a series of chants and speeches all connected by one underlying theme: Fuck UoM.

Photo: Antonio Ross @ The Mancunion
Photo: Antonio Ross @ The Mancunion
Photo: Antonio Ross @ The Mancunion
Photo: Antonio Ross @ The Mancunion
Photo: Antonio Ross @ The Mancunion
Photo: Antonio Ross @ The Mancunion
Joe McFadden

Joe McFadden

Managing Editor (2022/23) | Highly Commended for Outstanding Commitment in the North (SPA Regional Awards 2023) | Highly Commended Best Arts & Culture piece in the UK (SPA National Awards 2023) | Shortlisted for Best Reporter in the UK (SPA National Awards 2021)

Universally Manchester festival: details released for the bicentenary celebrations

The bicentenary festival is set to run from June 6 to 9 with 150+ events across campus

Students’ Union will not adopt a BDS policy despite vote in favour

The motion, voted for by students in December 2023, passed with 89.6% of students voting in favour and would have resulted in the Students’ Union adopting BDS policy

University archway vandalised with red paint

The vandalism occurred in the early hours of May 13 morning and is being investigated by Greater Manchester police, according to a University statement