jessicawalmsley

Drink spiking on the rise in Manchester

Students in Manchester have warned their peers of the rise in drinks being spiked across Manchester. Read more to learn how to spot if your drink has been spiked and what to do if you think your friend has been spiked.
Drink spiking on the rise in Manchester
Photo: Chemist 4 U @ Flickr

Students have voiced concern over a rise in spiking across bars in Manchester.

The majority of people who have been recently affected by drink spiking are students and they have taken to social media to warn people of the specific bars they have been spiked in.

Comments from those who have been spiked in Manchester have risen in numbers over the past month and bars are beginning to take notice.

256 Wilmslow Road, a popular student bar pick in Fallowfield, have announced that they will be providing free anti-drug bottle-stops & lids with all drinks.

Drink Aware and alternative spiking information sources recommend checking the colour of your drink, especially for any hints of blue which could be a signal your drink has been tampered with. Other changes to your drink might be whether it is cloudy, has excessive bubbles or fizzing, or tastes different such as more bitter or salty.

If you notice any of these changes report it to a member of staff and do not carry on drinking said drink or any other alcoholic beverages.

Signs to look out for in other people are if they have trouble speaking or staying focused, they find it difficult to stand up and can’t hold their balance, have blurred vision, feel extremely nauseous, feel as though they are hallucinating, disorientated or paranoid, experience memory loss or blackout.

If you think someone has been spiked you need to stay with them at all times, tell a member of staff or trusted person, seek medical attention and call an ambulance if their condition deteriorates. Never leave them unattended.

More information can be found on www.drinkaware.co.uk

The Mancunion are currently leading a full investigation into the increase of drink spiking amongst the student community.

Jess Walmsley

Jess Walmsley

Editor-in-Chief 21/22

A rundown of LeadMCR election results night

The eight new SU Exec Officers were revealed on March 7 after two weeks of campaigning, as well as the seven NUS Representatives and the winners of the Union’s LeadMCR Alternative Awards

College Roundup: US edition

Enjoying this year’s University Round-ups? Here you can have a look across the pond at some of the drama from American Colleges

Manchester researchers find majority of women experience abuse while running

Over two-thirds of women in the study had been abused while running, with 58% reporting verbal abuse

Your new Exec team: LeadMCR 2024 results

Eight Exec Officers and seven NUS reps have been elected for LeadMCR 2024/25