ellarobinson

Nancy Out, Locked Out 

The Nancy Out student activist group failed to barge in to the Foundation Day celebrations in Whitworth Hall, abandoning their protest plans
Nancy Out, Locked Out 
Photo : Jess Walmsley

The Nancy Out campaign’s attempts to storm the University of Manchester Foundation Day celebrations, on the 7th October, were thwarted by security guards. As approximately ten campaigners ran towards the door, it was slammed in their faces by security, who seemed to be aware of the protest groups plans. 

An attendee of Foundation Day was overheard by Mancunion reporters discussing the potential of a ‘barge-in’ by campaigners before the event, and security covered all exits. 

The campaign group looped around Whitworth Hall, where the event, which celebrates the coming together of Victoria University of Manchester and the University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology (UMIST), was taking place. A security guard was overheard saying, “Three of them are near the library, looking for a way in down there.”

After failing to enter the building most of the Nancy Out campaign abandoned their plans and went for a drink in 532 instead. A few remained to try and hand a P45 to Nancy Rothwell which she didn’t accept. 

In response to The Tab‘s article in which a protester described an interaction with a security guard as incredibly threatening, a University spokesperson said: “We are aware of an unpleasant incident which took place on the University campus on Wednesday evening involving, we understand, a Tab reporter and a group of students who targeted the President and Vice-Chancellor in a hostile and very personal manner.”

“This was witnessed by several staff. The individuals had previously unsuccessfully sought to disrupt the University’s Foundation Day celebrations in Whitworth Hall. This type of aggressive behaviour is clearly unacceptable and does not demonstrate a commitment to our shared values. We will be reviewing all available information accordingly.”

The Nancy Our campaign have been contacted for comment.

Ella Robinson

Ella Robinson

Editor-in-Chief | SPANC Best Reporter (Highly Commended) 2022 and SPARC Best Journalist in the North 2022

“Revolutionise the field of healthcare”: UoM part of a new AI healthcare research group

Revolutionising Healthcare: Multi-University AI program accepts funding from government to improve casual AI in healthcare

Chris Whitty kicks off the University’s bicentenary lecture series

Professor Chris Whitty delivers lecture on health inequalities as part of the University’s bicentenary celebrations

Record 159 students apply to LeadMCR

159 students have applied, breaking the record set in 2016

John Rylands Library to undergo major £7.6m transformation

The John Rylands will undergo a £7.6m revision, allowing the building to meet mid-21st century needs