archieearle

Increase in bike theft around UoM campus

How to keep your bike safe on campus

The University of Manchester has warned students that there has been a marked increase in bike theft across campus. The University has received reports of an increase in bike thefts after the return of students from the Christmas break, which they say has “given thieves greater opportunities to target campus”.

In response the University has offered a free overt bike marking service for all students and staff. The newly launched scheme will involve the ability for your bike to be marked with a unique anti-tamper serial number which is entered onto a database, that is then accessible to campus security, as well as the Greater Manchester Police, who will then be able to use the service for any recovered stolen bikes across Manchester.

There are frequent bike registration events that can be found on the universities crime reduction Facebook page, which includes sessions to register to be part of the scheme. The University has also urged staff and students to remain vigilant whilst bike theft is still a looming threat across the city and campus.

The University have also urged all those who are vigilant of bike safety to alert the University Security Team by calling the number on the back of your student card. Students can also use the SafeZone app to report suspicious behaviour.

CyclingUK.org report that 300,000 bikes are stolen every year in England and Wales alone. They suggest that you should insure your bike as well as locking it up, even if you will only be away from it for a short time.  

University round-up: new 24/7 helpline, (nearly) oldest-ever graduate, and a rise in burglaries

Read the latest news from UK universities, featuring a new 95-year-old graduate and the rollout of a new 24/7 helpline service

Students’ Union release statement in response to “Pro-Life Society” petition

The Students’ Union Exec team has released a statement outlining their legal position in regards to the creation of and affiliation with new societies

Students’ Union addresses new Freedom of Speech Act

The government’s new Higher Education (Freedom of Speech) Act will come into force from 1 August 2024 and aims to be a provision for freedom of speech and academic freedom across universities and Students’ Unions

Protestors converge on University Green

Protests converge at the University Green, where Students Against Tyranny met with counter-protests from groups including Manchester Leftist Action and the Socialist Worker Student Society