serenajemmett

Dress like a girlboss, become the girlboss: How to dress to impress in interview season

Serena spotlights four sustainable brands to get you sorted for upcoming job interviews

Having been complimented on my conference fits, I thought I’d share the brands I love for workwear, girlboss* looks, no gatekeeping here. AND as we rapidly enter interview season let’s look at getting your employability fits sorted. 

First things first, it’s important to scrub up nice and smart, but its also important to be environmentally conscious when fashion accounts for 10% of global emissions, so I’ve collated some of my favourite independent and sustainable brands to get you sorted.

Whilst the pricing might be more than you would expect (or usually pay), you only need one interview fit. We don’t need to be mass consumers and have a new outfit, suit or jumpsuit each time – why not just look striking and employable in the same outfit, at every opportunity.

Alchemy London

Alchemy London sell waistcoat suits. Despite suits being perceived as a pretty masculine fashion choice, the waistcoats are backless, allowing your femininity to peak through. With a wide range of fabric choices and colour choices there’s sure to be something that you fall in love with. Sizes range from 6-14 in some stocks. Waistcoat prices range from £50-70 and trouser prices range from £40-60, meaning you will likely be spending triple digits… BUT remember this can be worn to multiple events, and I even wore mine to the MMG (Manchester Media Group) Christmas Ball, so the opportunities to wear this incredible suit are limitless.

Peachy Den

Peachy Den has made a classic, retro jumpsuit which when worn can wow your way into a job. The Kernel jumpsuit is a minimalist jumpsuit with a pop of colour. Like Alchemy London, there are multiple colour choices to suit your style, vibe and shoes. Priced at £120 this again hits triple digits however, it can be dressed up for drinks with heels, or down for a lecture with trainers. Sizes range from XS to XL.

Peachy Den Kernel Jumpsuits

Suits You London

These suits come in a range of styles, fabrics and colours so take your pick. The Betty, Cecilia and Alina suits are the same style but different colours – all £100. The other suits are three-piece suits – trousers, waistcoat and suit jacket. Priced at £250 you might be entering the overdraft but that’s why it’s there … Like the other brands, this suit can be worn on a night out to celebrate your new job after you slay your interview. Suits You London write that they place a large emphasis on the sustainability of their products from sourcing materials to the manufacturing stage. Sizing wise, they offer a wider range from XS to XL. These suits are sold out at the moment, so if you are interested make sure to sign up to be notified when they come back in stock.

Screenshot from Suits You London website

By Min

By Min sells jumpsuits. Colour options are white and yellow, pink and red, purple and lilac, black and red, blue and white, pink and white. Each jumpsuit is handmade to order. Sizing wise there aren’t many options with just Extra-Small, Small and Medium – and jumpsuits can be hard to fit perfectly. However, the inseam (leg length) can be adjusted for no extra cost. The classic Liza jumpsuit is £70, and the cut-out style is £80. 

Screenshot of By Min’s Instagram

*girlboss is used ironically throughout this article

Serena Jemmett

Serena Jemmett

Serena is a national shortlisted Arts and Culture writer (SPA2022) with key interests in music, women’s rights, accessibility and politic’s influence in culture.With a passion to make social issues more accessible and digestible for the wider public, Serena’s broadcast talk show (Sez Says) on Fuse FM discusses a variety of topics from political matters, to fashion, to interviews with musicians. Check it out on instagram: @sezsays_radio; You can contact Serena on twitter @serenajemmett or instagram @serenaj69

Leopard print roars back: The resurgence of a popular fashion trend

Exploring the resurgence of leopard print – how the iconic pattern clawed its way back into fashion’s spotlight with a blend of nostalgia, contemporary flair, and widespread celebrity endorsement

Celebrity style guide #7: Lewis Hamilton

Not everyone would look to the Formula 1 paddock for style inspiration, but luckily our editors have some insight from Lewis Hamilton to help you elevate your wardrobe

What the Croc? Pringles x Crocs and other crazy collabs

We explore some of Crocs’ weird collaborations with brands, artists, and designers that have rocked the fashion world as of late

3D nails: Achieving new heights in beauty

Does the rise of 3D nail art in the wake of the ‘clean girl’ beauty era signal the resurgence of maximalism? Where did the 3D nail trend begin and where can you get your own unique set?