erinbotten
23rd February 2022

Agony Aunt Angela: Toxic Troubles

“They’re getting manipulated. I love them, but I don’t know how to help them.” Can Agony Aunt Angela fix this?…
Agony Aunt Angela: Toxic Troubles

“Someone I know is getting themselves into a toxic situation. They love the people in it, but in my opinion, they’re getting manipulated. I love them, but I don’t know how to help them.”

It can be hard to watch this happen, especially to someone you care about. In the past, I’ve had friends visit dodgy men or stay with manipulative boyfriends. The best thing to do is be there when it ultimately goes wrong, as sad as it sounds. Reiterate that you’re there for them and that they can count on you.

The worst thing to do is get angry or irritated. They’ll simply push you away and then you have no way of helping them or checking that they’re ok. You’ve gotta bite the bullet and ignore the urge to hold them hostage until they see the light. Soz.

There are a few more ways you can help, however …

Firstly, try and work out why they’ve put themselves in that situation. Chances are they’re aware of the risks, but something deeper is preventing them from leaving. By understanding the circumstances, you’re more to be able to lead them away slowly.

Another method would be to be with them when they’re in that toxic situation. As you’re aware of the toxic behaviours and manipulation that’s unfolding, you’ll be able to point this out to your friend. This way, they won’t be able to say “You weren’t there, you wouldn’t understand!” You can also stand up for your friend against the perpetrator(s).

Finally, if all else fails, purchase a megaphone. Whenever you pass the toxic situation, blast the first 10 seconds of Britney Spears’ Toxic. Eventually, that friend will join the dots thanks to your appropriate song choice.

Need emergency assistance? Contact these organisations:

Samaritans: 116 123

UoM Nightline: 161 275 3983/4

Kisses, Aunt Angela x

Need some advice? Send in your mishaps and worries here!

A ‘quarter-life crisis’?: Finding your feet after a break-up

Do you feel like you are experiencing a ‘quarter-life crisis’ in your final year? Have you experienced a break-up? Read on to find out how you can find your feet in these (perhaps not so) difficult times

Little luxuries that make uni life more bearable

Treat yourself! Life as a university student isn’t always easy, but some things can make it that little bit more enjoyable

How to live a European lifestyle in Manchester

Life in Manchester may feel very different to continental Europe, but with our compilation of advice, you won’t feel so far from other European cultures as a student in the city

Why you don’t need New Year’s resolutions in 2024

With every New Year comes the same pressure to set resolutions and make personal changes, but this needless pressure won’t provide the route to fulfilment