shikhartalwar

Mastercard down and out for today

MasterCard is reportedly down so you might need to use cash today
Mastercard down and out for today
Image @ Wikimedia Commons

MasterCard is reportedly down across the UK as hundreds have complained on social media. People’s cards are reportedly not working in stores such as Morrisons, Aldi, and Asda, with store managers saying it is a MasterCard problem.

An independent website, called DownDetector tracks the number of complaints every company gets through social media. Whilst Visa have also seen complaints, MasterCard is at its peak at 476 complaints. There was a spike in complaints starting from 11.30am this morning. But MasterCard have not put out a statement yet.

Whilst the reasoning and extent of the outage is unknown, it is affecting a large number of people across the UK as banks such as Santander, Starling Bank, Barclaycard, HSBC, Monzo, Metro, Virgin, First Direct and Thinkmoney all use MasterCards.

There are also complaints about Visa cards, although these are substantially fewer. Monzo, amongst the banks facing the same problem, have been active on Twitter replying to complaints and have told people it’s a problem with both Visa and MasterCard.

Therefore, if you have cash, it may be best to use it today!

MasterCard and Visa have also both seen drops in their stock prices in the last few days, Visa dropped by around $10 between March 3-4, whilst MasterCard saw a nearly $20 drop. This could be due to the sanctions that MasterCard and Visa have put on Russia, due to their invasion of Ukraine. At the time Don Fandetti, an analyst with Wells Fargo & Co, a financial services company, told the WallStreet Journal of his fears of the sanctions restricting international growth.

Shikhar Talwar

Shikhar Talwar

Hello! I am the MMG News Producer. My job is to ensure collaboration between all 3 wings of MMG, namely Mancunion, Fuse TV and Fuse FM. I also write for the news section at the Mancunion, with topics ranging from elections to protests.

John Rylands Library to undergo major £7.6m transformation

The John Rylands will undergo a £7.6m revision, allowing the building to meet mid-21st century needs

University round-up: new 24/7 helpline, (nearly) oldest-ever graduate, and a rise in burglaries

Read the latest news from UK universities, featuring a new 95-year-old graduate and the rollout of a new 24/7 helpline service

Students’ Union release statement in response to “Pro-Life Society” petition

The Students’ Union Exec team has released a statement outlining their legal position in regards to the creation of and affiliation with new societies

Students’ Union addresses new Freedom of Speech Act

The government’s new Higher Education (Freedom of Speech) Act will come into force from 1 August 2024 and aims to be a provision for freedom of speech and academic freedom across universities and Students’ Unions