serenajemmett

Social media kills music? – The Snuts release Zuckerpunch

The Mancunion take a deep dive into the new Snuts single and their iconic individuality! Well worth a read!
Photo: The Snuts Zuckerpunch Official Single Artwork

From the opening lyrics “Robotic, hypnotic, Amazonian shopping” this song screams political, and I love how they are not shying away.

‘Zuckerpunch’, released 23rd February, is a politically charged (and groovy) song taking aim at social media’s (negative) influence. With press/ad posters quoting “Social media kills people” or “Social media kills opinion” it is clear The Snuts have had enough of social media dictating our lives and society as “now it’s your brain”. To my liking, they also touch on our overly consumerist society, namely Amazon shipping around 1.6 million packages every single day and the toxic culture of fast fashion – “all your clothes are from sweatshops”.

The song can be described as nothing but topical with lyrics covering screen time, the right to digital privacy, identity, and burnout. The song itself is quite groovy which doesn’t downplay the significance, but if anything make it more influential. The final minute of the song is mostly instrumental, with an insane and unbelievably catchy guitar solo, followed by an outro of a digital voiceover reaffirming the aim of this song on individual digital privacy.

The Snuts are a Scottish indie band whose debut album W.L. achieved UK Number 1, the first time in 14 years for a Scottish band. They’ve said they have written their second album but are yet to set a release date.

The Snuts are performing three headline shows in April (27th April at Manchester O2 Academy) and have just supported the Kooks Inside In/Inside Out 15th anniversary tour.

Serena Jemmett

Serena Jemmett

Serena is a national shortlisted Arts and Culture writer (SPA2022) with key interests in music, women’s rights, accessibility and politic’s influence in culture.With a passion to make social issues more accessible and digestible for the wider public, Serena’s broadcast talk show (Sez Says) on Fuse FM discusses a variety of topics from political matters, to fashion, to interviews with musicians. Check it out on instagram: @sezsays_radio; You can contact Serena on twitter @serenajemmett or instagram @serenaj69

Zara Larsson live in Manchester: Bringing ‘VENUS’ to Manchester’s Academy

Swedish pop sensation Zara Larsson returns to Manchester to headline the Academy after the release of her newest LP, ‘Venus’

The Last Dinner Party – Prelude to Ecstasy: A stellar debut from the UK’s most exciting new act

The Last Dinner Party cement their place as one of the most innovative up-and-coming bands in the UK, showcasing operatic vocals and evocative lyrics on their debut LP

Frank Carter and The Rattlesnakes live in Manchester: An ecstatic night of rock with the ‘Man of The Hour’

Frank Carter and The Rattlesnakes return to Manchester Academy after two years, bringing a night of moshpits and mayhem

Laufey live in Manchester: A Valentine’s night ‘bewitched’ by musical charm

Following her recent Grammy victory, Laufey takes the stage for a very special sold-out Valentine’s Day show at Manchester’s Albert Hall