maddyoxley

Movements return with new track ‘Barbed Wire Body’

Movements release new single deviating from their usual, more gloomy sound in favour of a high-energy track, perfect for moshing to.
Movements – Barbed Wire Body Single cover

After seeing Movements live a couple of times last month and absolutely loving their set, it was great to hear a new tune from them. It was their first since the release of a couple of b-sides last summer. ‘Barbed Wire Body’ is a refreshing track, diverting from the melancholic tone the band’s music normally takes. This is an entirely welcome change in a genre often characterised by so much emo angst.

The energy is kept high throughout with an upbeat tempo that I can imagine would really get the whole crowd moving at a gig. As a whole, it’s quite reminiscent of Bloc Party’s early stuff (Movements did release a cover of Banquet in December so they may well be taking inspiration from the band). Vocalist Patrick Miranda said he wanted the track to feature less dynamic changes than a typical Movements song, for a ‘loud, in your face track’, which they’ve perfectly achieved here. If this sets the tone for future Movements music, then I am definitely excited.

Movements return to the UK to play outbreak fest in Manchester from the 24th to 26th June.

Maddy Oxley

Maddy Oxley

Criminology student and gig-goer, never left my emo phase. Contactable on twitter @maddy_oxley

Yard Act live in Manchester: An unforgettably ace headline at the O2 Apollo

Yard Act return to the Manchester stage with new album, ‘Where’s My Utopia?’, in a night of dance-party celebration