• Sport
  • An exciting sport opportunity for students: Join the British Rowing today!

avagriffiths

An exciting sport opportunity for students: Join the British Rowing today!

Check out the rowing opportunities in Manchester — no experience needed!
Photo: Ardfern @ Wikimedia Commons

Rowing in Manchester is rich in its history. One of the oldest open membership rowing clubs in the world, Agecroft RC, is situated just in Salford Quays. This sport has been in this city has been since 1823.  

The opportunities for sports here in Manchester can seem endless, which is why it is great to get involved. At this year’s Armitage sports fair, I spoke to Will Stockton who is a talent ID coach for British Rowing. Will shared with me the Start Programme, where students with absolutely no experience are given the opportunity to join a rowing programme in the hopes of one day becoming Olympic athletes.

Will revealed he’s looking for “tall individuals who can mentally push themselves extremely hard, and that have an interest in being an Olympic athlete”. The programme typically looks for women over 178cm, and men over 188cm. 

There is a rowing club here at the University of Manchester, so check them out if you want to learn more about this sport. Even if you have never considered it before, it is always worth taking up the opportunity! 

You can sign up online by visiting the British Rowing website or contact [email protected] directly to arrange to test.

Who will win the World Cup? The Mancunion Predicts

Will Ronaldo or Messi win the world’s greatest trophy in their fifth and final attempt? Or will England finally end 56 years of hurt?
Blood on their Chests: Holding the FIFA World Cup in Qatar to Account

An insight into the backlash created by the human rights violations associated with Qatar’s FIFA World Cup, and how Denmark has fought to ensure that amongst the football, this record is not forgotten
Movember at UoM

Movember at UoM

A look at how UOM sport is getting involved in this years Movember and how students can donate!
Manchester Student Fight Night – All you need to know!

One of the most atmospheric student nights of the year, Manchester Student Fight Night is coming to the AO Arena on November 24