lilywallen

Home Secretary disputes party policy on international students

The Home Secretary made comments on number of international students in the UK contradict Conservative goals
Photo: David Woolfall @ Wikimedia Commons

Suella Braverman MP, the Home Secretary, has claimed international students do not “contribute to the economy” and are increasing the “really high number of dependents” in the UK who aim to “piggyback” onto their student family members.

Braverman’s remarks, made at the recent Conservative Party conference, diverge both from party policy and the sentiment of universities around the UK.

Speaking to The Daily Telegraph, the Home Secretary also asserted that the UK has “too many students coming into this country who are propping up frankly substandard courses”. This echoed similar remarks by Andrea Jenkyns MP, the Minister for Higher Education, about cracking down on “Harry Potter degrees”.

Braverman received fierce backlash from many angles. Those disagreeing included former Universities Minister Jo Johnson, and from other influential institutions. University UK’s Jamie Arrowsmith remarked that “the Home Secretary’s comments are disappointing and indeed confusing”.

Braverman’s remarks also come amidst talk from university bosses about the prospect of raising domestic tuition fees and the need for more international students in the UK. Sir David Bell, Vice-Chancellor at the University of Sunderland, told the Sunday Times that universities “cannot afford not to take more overseas students”. He was joined by Professor Sir Chris Husbands, Vice-Chancellor at Sheffield Hallam, who said that “high-tariff universities” would bring in fewer UK students “because they can charge higher prices in international markets”.

Such comments regarding international students contradict the education strategy of the 2019 Conservative government, which aimed to increase international students in the UK to more than 600,000 a year. Braverman’s inconsistency with party policy also runs contrary to the Higher Education Policy Institute which found that international student’s net economic benefit of £25 billion is spread across every part of the UK.

University confirm potential graduation delays

An email update from The Faculty of Humanities confirms potential delays to graduation and their efforts to minimise the impact on students

Local elections 2023: Fallowfield still has lowest turnout in Manchester

Fallowfield still has the lowest voter turnout in Manchester whilst the Greens and Lib Dems made gains – here’s a full breakdown of Manchester’s Local elections 2023.

The University of Manchester’s Rent Strike marches on

The University of Manchester rent strike rumbles on as tensions between UoM Rent Strike and university bosses continue to simmer

Pole and Burlesque Soc rehearsal labelled ‘degrading’ by senior staff member

During a rescheduled rehearsal outside the AGLC, two members of the Pole and Burlesque Society were attacked for their outfits and activity by a member of staff.