amywalker

World Mental Health Day: Tackling the Mental Health Crisis

World Mental Health Day was dedicated to making mental health and wellbeing a global priority
Photo: Wokandapix @Pixabay

Monday October 10 2022 marked World Mental Health Day. The day was dedicated to raising awareness and educating people globally on mental health.

This year, England football captain Harry Kane, launched the Harry Kane Foundation to support those with mental health issues. Furthermore, Royals William and Kate announced they will be recording a programme, which will lead discussions on the importance of mental health.

In the first year of the COVID-19 pandemic, there was an estimated 25% rise in both anxiety and depression. This period of national lockdowns took a toll on the nation’s mental health. Now, mental health professionals are speaking out against the government’s failure to respond to the backlog of mental health treatment. Dr Adrian James, President of the Royal College of Psychiatrists describes how at present, mental health services are “over-stretched and under-resourced”.

At present, there are also arguments that the attention cultivated by World Mental Health day is not enough, as funding is not being allocated to mental health services. In the government’s Spending Review in 2021, mental health services were dedicated none of the £44 billion of additional funding given to the NHS. The UK Government’s negligence surrounding mental health issues has resulted in the World Federation for Mental Health having to prompt government action.

The theme of this year’s mental health day was: “make mental health and wellbeing a global priority”. This seeks to encourage governments on an international scale to begin prioritising mental health care.