bethan

Gavin and Stacey (2007-2010) revisited: A classic sitcom with a cult following

James Corden and Ruth Jones’ BBC sitcom is still, and always will be, “well lush”
Credit: BBC

Gavin and Stacey (2007-2010) is a classic sitcom that centres around Essex-lad Gavin (Matthey Horne), and Welsh Stacey (Joanna Page), who find romance through their humdrum office jobs. Over the three seasons, their relationship develops from flirty phone calls, to wedding planning, and into married life. Flitting between Barry Island and Billericay, we follow them and their friends, Smithy and Nessa (James Corden and Ruth Jones), navigating long-distance relationships and delicate family dynamics. To make it even better, all this is set to an amazingly nostalgic mid-2000s indie soundtrack.

It’s clear to see why Gavin and Stacey has gained such a cult following, boasting a stellar supporting cast. We all know someone like Rob Brydon’s eccentric Uncle Bryn, or Alison Steadman’s larger-than-life Pam. The beauty of the show, however, came from its simplicity. From weddings to family dinners to job interviews, these everyday occasions are injected with fun through the whip-smart writing and recurring jokes (did someone say Fishing Trip?).

It’s not just all jokes and no plot, though. Our connection to these characters gives the show a surprisingly dramatic weight for a seemingly light-hearted little comedy series. We feel the shock of Nessa’s pregnancy, we ache with Gavin and Stacey when they struggle to conceive… we especially share Smithy’s pain over the politics of ordering a group takeaway. It somehow manages to balance being exaggerated yet realistic, bawdy yet family-friendly, and light-hearted yet poignant.

It swiftly became a BBC phenomenon, spiralling James Corden from minor British comedian to famous (or infamous) American talk-show host. While Corden’s public image has soured, Gavin and Stacey has aged like fine wine: 15 years after its initial release, it still stands the test of time, providing nostalgia to original fans, and connecting with a whole new generation of viewers. The huge success of 2019’s Christmas reunion episode, which was watched by 11.6 million people, proves that Gavin and Stacey is, and always will be, “well lush”.

All 3 series of Gavin and Stacey are available on BBC iPlayer.

What Heartbreak High gets right about autism

Netflix’s Heartbreak High breaks ground with authentic autistic representation in Quinni, but Season 2 disappoints by sidelining her character. So, what makes for good representation?

Taskmaster: Why it’s so good and where to begin

As a new series of Taskmaster begins, these are the best casts to watch if you’re looking for some dissertation distraction

The fourth season curse: Why do TV shows get worse after their fourth season?

From Downtown Abbey to Game of Thrones, the curse looms large in modern TV

Reality check: Does reality TV deserve more credit?

The cultural phenomenon of reality TV is surrounded by guilt and disdain, but does reality TV benefit more than it hinders us?