catherinerowekosary

Accounting for Style #13: Former shopaholic attempts budgeting

A University of Manchester student attempts to quell their spending habits for the month of October!

Accounting for Style is a series at the Mancunion Fashion & Beauty section, in which anonymous Manchester students track all of their fashion and beauty purchases over the period of a month. Get a glimpse into the way your peers spend their money on their style, the splurges, and the savings…

Profile

Age: 19.

Degree: English Literature.

Rent: £114 per week, including bills.

Extra cash: I have a part-time job at home but I’m on the hunt for one in Manchester. I make some extra money from selling my old clothes on eBay. 

Monthly budget: I don’t have a set monthly budget but I restrict my clothing purchases to a couple of items per month. 

Fashion and beauty spending habits

I used to be a serial online shopper on eBay and Depop when I was in secondary school, but I have restrained myself since being at university. Whilst living in Oak House last year I spent some money on costumes for the many dress-up parties held around Halloween. But I don’t spend much money on beauty products as I still use my old and crusty makeup from when I was 14 (the beauty product I buy most often is eyeliner).

Monthly estimated spend on fashion and beauty

I usually spend under £50, but I am predicting that it will be quite a bit more this month as I need new shoes. It’s also Halloween this month so I’ll probably end up buying a few things for costume parties. Hopefully, I won’t splurge as much as last year!

Monthly spending

4th October 2022: £25.00. 

I have been in need of a new pair of trainers for a while but I have been putting off buying any as the ones I have found online and in high street stores are very expensive. For instance, I found a pair of white Nike Vapormax trainers that I liked but they cost nearly £200 and they didn’t even have them in my size.

I wanted a similar style of trainers but preferably in pink rather than white. I had a look on eBay and somehow I immediately found the perfect pair for only £25. They were second-hand, which was a bonus, as I prefer to shop sustainably when I can. The trainers are pink Nike Shox trainers from 2006. I am hoping they do not fall apart by the end of the month, but they are in great condition considering they are over a decade old!

Photo: Catherine Rowe-Kosary @ The Mancunion

5th October 2022: £25.99.

I decided to buy a top on eBay that I had resisted buying for a couple of months. It’s a pink off-the-shoulder Jane Norman top. I was hesitant to buy it because it cost £25.99 which is more than I would usually spend on a second-hand top but I think it was a good price for vintage Jane Norman.

11th October 2022: £12.

I finally went to one of the Student Union vintage clothing sales which I’ve been meaning to go to since the beginning of first year. I found a grey The North Face zip-up fleece and a white bolero top. I was unsure about buying these two items as I didn’t necessarily need them and I am very frugal when shopping in person rather than online. However, both items were quite cheap so I bought them.

19th October 2022: £14.80.

I was trying to find a beige corset for my Halloween costume on eBay, Vinted or from one of my friends, but couldn’t find one. I gave in and bought one from Amazon. Although I try to avoid fast fashion, it was perfect for my costume.

Total spent: £77.79.

Final Verdict

Overall, I spent more than I usually do in a month but I’m not too surprised – I needed new shoes and it was also Halloween. I managed to reuse old costumes for Halloween and I found a much cheaper alternative for the shoes I wanted, so I actually saved a lot of money in the end!

Hair, makeup and costume design nominees at the 2024 Academy Awards

Who has been celebrated for exceptional hair, makeup and costume design at the Academy Awards 2024… and who was snubbed?

Devils wear Prada: A retrospective look at the iconic F/W 2012 menswear collection

With the 2024 fashion calendar now in full swing and the hype of the BAFTA’s still present, we reflect on one of the most cinematic catwalks in fashion history

Men’s fashion is finally having its moment during the 2024 awards season

Are we finally seeing some creativity in men’s award show fashion? The experimental cuts and colour on show at the latest BAFTAs and Golden Globes red carpets suggest so

2016 makeup is back, and so is creativity

With 2016 makeup trending on social media, we’re looking back to a simpler time and re-injecting creativity into today’s ‘clean girl’ era