jacobhartley

New Dean of the Faculty of Humanities

Professor of Sociology, then Head of the Alliance Manchester Business School. Now Professor Devine will take on Dean of the Faculty of Humanities
New Dean of the Faculty of Humanities
The Eddies Davies LibraryPhoto: Alliance Business School Manchester @ https://www.alliancembs.manchester.ac.uk/about/our-campus-and-facilities/

Professor Fiona Devine CBE FAcSS will be the next Vice-President and Dean of the Faculty of Humanities, the University has been announced.

She will succeed Professor Keith Brown, who is stepping down from the role at the end of the current academic year. The role overlooks over 20000 students including, among others, the School of Arts, Languages and Cultures (SALC), the Law School, Social Sciences, and the Alliance Manchester Business School.

For the last ten years, Professor Devine has been the Head of the Alliance Manchester Business School (AMBS). The school is ranked 36th out of European Business Schools by the Financial Times. Its full time Masters in Business Administration (MBA) was ranked 11th in 2020.

Professor Devine studied at the University of Essex. She joined the University in 1994, teaching Sociology. She became head of the department in 2004, and then was Head of the School of Social Sciences from 2009-13.

She is best known for work in social stratification and mobility. She is currently a Fellow of the Centre for the Study of Poverty and Inequality at Stanford University in the USA.

She will take over the role from Professor Keith Brown. Professor Brown studied Modern and Scottish History at the University of Glasgow, and joined the University as Dean of the Faculty of Humanities in 2010.

Professor Dame Nancy Rothwell, President and Vice-Chancellor of The University of Manchester said: “The role as Vice-President and Dean of the Faculty of Humanities has generated an exceptional field of candidates, both external and internal.”

“After a very competitive process, Fiona Devine was the agreed candidate to take on this significant role and she will help to continue to shape the future of a Faculty which is absolutely at the heart of the University’s success. I am delighted that Fiona has agreed to take on this role.”

Professor Fiona Devine said: ‘It is a privilege to be selected as the next Vice-President and Dean of the Faculty of Humanities starting in Summer 2023, succeeding Professor Keith Brown after 13 years in his role. Keith has done a fantastic job and I look forward to working with the Faculty Leadership Team on the new opportunities and challenges ahead.’ 

Jacob Hartley

Jacob Hartley

co-Managing Editor (News and Current Affairs)

Pro-Palestinian student groups occupy Simon Building in protest against University

Manchester Leftist Action have occupied the Simon Building to protest alleged University connections with Israel, along with students from UoM Rent Strike and Youth Front for Palestine

Nominations for Students’ Union Awards 2024 now open

Students can nominate themselves or others for the awards, which fall into four separate categories, with each award having its own awards night

UNiDAYS announce opening of Student Woman of the Year competition

The UNiDAYS-run competition aims to support female students who are making a difference and offers a £10,000 first prize for entrepreneurial initiatives