adampogrund

Manchester Originals retain Jos Buttler, Phil Salt, and Sophie Ecclestone ahead of The Hundred 2023

As Manchester Originals reveal their retention list, sign up today for priority access to see the world’s best cricketers at Emirates Old Trafford, with tickets starting as low as £10!
Photo: Press Release @ Manchester Originals

Manchester Originals have today announced which star cricketers they have retained ahead of the third series of The Hundred.

The women who will be welcomed back in the summer to Emirates Old Trafford include the world’s top-ranked bowler Sophie Ecclestone, alongside Deandra Dottin, Ellie Threlkeld and Emma Lamb.

The men’s side, who reached the final last year, will see the return of ten players. Most notably, captain Jos Buttler, England opener Phil Salt and Ireland’s Josh Little. Sri Lankan spin bowler Wanindu Hasaranga has also been retained and will look to make his debut this year, after being denied a No-Objection Certificate by Sri Lanka Cricket in 2022.

Manchester Originals Retention List. Photo: Press Release @ Manchester Originals

Reigning champions Trent Rockets have confirmed their re-signing of Afghan international Rashid Khan, who will receive the top £125,000 contract. 2019 ODI Cricket World Cup winner Jofra Archer has also been retained, staying at Southampton-based Southern Brave.

Across the men’s and women’s competitions, 134 of the 248 spots are still open. They will be filled at The Hundred Draft powered by Sage,  and across the open market process. The Hundred Draft will be televised live on Sky Sports on Thursday, March 23. This will be the first time the draft is held in the women’s competition.

The men’s team can retain ten players, with the women’s teams allowed up to four. Six men’s sides have retained all ten. However, Welsh Fire, who finished bottom last year, have only retained two players. Under the leadership of Australian legend Mike ‘Mr Cricket’ Hussey, they will have the first pick in the draft, as they look to fill their remaining eight places.

Manchester Originals will have the third pick in the Women’s Draft. Notable players still available include Kate Cross, Sophia Dunkley, and Danni Wyatt.

Both Manchester Originals men’s and women’s team will begin their seasons at Sophia Gardens, Cardiff on 2 August, before a return to Emirates Old Trafford against London Spirit on Saturday, August 5.

Phil Salt, an ICC Men’s T20 World Cup winner in November, said:

“It’s brilliant we’ve been able to retain ten of our players from 2022. Our confidence is in a good place after getting so close last year so I’m glad we’ve been able to keep a similar squad together. It’s a well-balanced side, we’ve got Jos’ leadership, we’ve got good depth and some talented overseas players, too. We’re looking forward to the draft and completing our squad.”

Emma Lamb, England’s all-rounder, also expressed her excitement:

“The first two years of the competition have been incredible to play in and with the addition of the draft this year, it’s only going to be bigger and better in 2023. Retaining the players we have gives us a great base to build on to form a side capable of challenging for The Hundred trophy in August.”

Manchester Originals embracing at home ground, Emirates Old Trafford. Photo: Press Release @ Manchester Originals

The Hundred returns this summer for the third time. It includes shorter matches, no longer than three hours, that fuse world-class cricket with blockbuster entertainment.  Its simple format of 100 balls per team, makes cricket more accessible and understandable for a wider audience.

The 68 games are played in a short four-week window that promises high-octane sporting drama, as well as live music, and family-friendly entertainment.

More than half a million spectators attended the 2022 competition, including an enormous 271,000 watching live women’s fixtures.  Audiences last year were made up of 28% women and 22% children, with  41% of spectators being part of family groups. The Hundred has been trailblazing for the women’s game with all eight venues breaking their previous records for domestic women’s attendance.

To sign up for priority ticket access between 5-18 April visit this link. Tickets will then go on general sale on Thursday 20 April. Despite high levels of inflation, tickets this year remain very cheap in line with 2022 pricing. Prices are set at £5 for juniors aged 6-15, free for children five and under, and adults starting from £10.

Over 14 million people watched The Hundred action in 2022, and games will again this year be broadcast live on Sky Sports and for free on BBC.

For more information click here.

To keep up with all Manchester originals fixtures and content follow their Instagram @manchesteroriginals.

adampogrund

adampogrund

Sports Editor (2022/23)