robertgyorgyi
21st February 2023

Review: Ginny Lemon and Sister Sister – You Keep Me Hangin’ On

Drag Race UK’s Ginny Lemon and Sister Sister had us hanging on for dear life at Contact
Photo: Ginny Lemon and Sister Sister

I had the pleasure of attending the Ginny Lemon and Sister Sister show at Contact as part of Queer Contact, and, let’s just say, Contact got yasssified!

As someone who had never seen a drag performance before, I was blown away by the energy, talent, and creativity that these queens brought to the stage.

Ginny Lemon and Sister Sister, both well-known from their appearances on the sophomore season of RuPaul’s Drag Race UK (Sister Sister came sixth whilst Ginny Lemon came tenth), delivered an amazing show. Ginny’s sarcastic sense of humour and gender-bending appearance were a standout, while Sister Sister’s Him-resembling look and surrealist acts were nothing short of brilliant. I was also impressed with the social and political commentary that the divas weaved into their mono and duologues, which added a thought-provoking layer to the entertainment.

The two queens had the audience (which included Juno Birch and Drag Race UK‘s Ellie Diamond) captivated from the moment they stepped on stage, and they kept the energy level high throughout the entire show. It was clear that they are both seasoned performers who know how to work a crowd, as their banter and jokes had us all in in stitches, cheering, and clapping along with them.

Before the show, Ginny and Sister held a meet and greet, and I was touched to see them go out of their way during the show to accommodate a fan who had missed the opportunity due to a flight delay. I also appreciated the inclusion of Yshee Black in the second act, whose dance number was hilarious and entertaining. While there were a few minor wardrobe issues (including the lack of accessories and the black heels with the colourful dress), Yshee made up for them with her sassiness.

Another thing that impressed me about the show was the incredible level of creativity that went into each of the acts. Each diva had such unique and distinct personas, and they really brought their characters to life through their costumes, makeup, and choreography. It was amazing to see how such amazing actors were able to transform themselves into these larger-than-life figures who commanded the stage and captivated the audience.

I now know that drag is more than just a form of performance – it is art that requires immense bravery and skill, too. After this show, sadly, it is all the more sad to read that red states are banning drag (thus a form of self-expression) in the US.

My only criticism of the show would be that the Ginny and Sister didn’t interact as much as I would have anticipated based on the show’s title. It felt like two separate shows, rather than a cohesive performance. However, this is a minor point and didn’t detract from the overall enjoyment of the performance. The talent and creativity of these artists made for a night of entertainment that I won’t soon forget.

Overall, I would highly recommend Ginny Lemon and Sister Sister’s show to anyone who is a hardcore fan of drag or just looking for a fun and entertaining night out. These two queens are true professionals who know how to put on a great act, and I can’t wait to see what they have in store for us next!

Ginny Lemon and Sister Sister are currently touring the UK with You Keep Me Hangin’ On until March 1.