katiebray
2nd March 2023

Single review: Hidden States – ‘Fix to Fix’

The Brighton-based artist has released the new single ahead of his upcoming EP ‘Reconcile’, arriving in March
Photo: Hidden States – ‘Fix to Fix’ Official Single Artwork

After the many delays caused by the COVID-19 pandemic in the music industry, another artist is making their comeback. Brighton-based Adam Day AKA Hidden States has released his new single ‘Fix to Fix’, and will be following this with his new EP in March.

Previously known as County Line Runner, he released two records that led to amazing opportunities, including coming face to face with Neil Young, his music appearing on Ted Lasso, being signed to KIDinaKORNER (home of Imagine Dragons), and receiving praise from the likes of Marcus Mumford and producer Stephen Street.

Following a change in name and a fresh start, Adam Day is back and ready to make a good impression. With the instrumental soul of U2 and Keane and vocal stylings and mellow looping guitar riffs comparable to Coldplay, ‘Fix to Fix’ offers a modern and refreshing take on music whilst still honing in on the nostalgia of other classic artists.

Its kicking beat, the vulnerable and mature vocals, and the slight echoing of the guitars create an ethereal sound that heightens the uplifting spirit through the song. Lyrically, the track represents Day’s journey over the past few years: the trials and tribulations caused by the pandemic pausing life, the feeling of being lost in a changing world, and the overwhelming sense that you can grow and overcome these difficulties.

Other songs on the Reconcile EP include ‘Valley Song’, ‘Lost Waves’, ‘Plastic Palm Trees’ and the titular ‘Reconcile’. All equally share this melancholic yet unearthly quality that separates Day from his competition. Whilst ‘Valley Song’ initially starts with a more acoustic and laid back take on life, it builds in complexity with thick layers of interweaving instruments, breaking this sentiment before an easy fade into the soft reflective guitar and keyboard of ‘Lost Waves’.

Unlike ‘Valley Song’, this one offers a sense of building excitement perhaps at the unknown sensations and feelings of life. This is particularly one of my favourites of the EP with a unique sound that stirs up both the sense of melancholic nostalgia and a feeling of uninhibited instrumental freedom that I can’t quite explain.

‘Reconcile’ completes a winding journey, its texture and dynamics toying around and creating an emotional rollercoaster. Day moves between moments of layered vocals, guitar loops and toe-tapping percussion, to soft percussion and acoustic sounds, seemingly epitomising the bittersweet feelings of the EP and the hard-comings that led to a sweet return. Overall, the EP feels like something familiar yet simultaneously fresh and different to anything I’ve heard before.

Whether you have listened to Adam Day’s previous EP or not, I would highly recommend giving his new track a good listen. Its unique blend of emotions and stylings creates something truly unique with a sprinkling of acoustic, pop, folk, and even punk added in for good measure.

You can listen to ‘Fix to Fix’ below:

Fat White Family’s Lias Saoudi is circling around the Post-Punk cul-de-sac

Now that Fat White family have returned with ‘Forgiveness Is Yours’, lead-singer Lias Saoudi has a lot more to say about post-punk, lyricism, and being a Londoner

Peter Bibby – Drama King: A tragic and unpredictable opus

Infusing the classic songwriting of Dylan and Springsteen with Australian wit and dive bar narratives, Peter Bibby’s latest album constantly surprises

Tenacious D live in Manchester: The metal bring the fire

Jack Black’s rock-comedy project Tenacious D stopped off in Manchester on their ‘Spicy Meatball’ tour, performing to 20,000 fans at the AO Arena

Sour Grapes Records’ ‘Meltchester’: Mancunion music community at its finest

Manchester’s own Sour Grapes Records brings Meltchester to town again at Projekts Skatepark