ivanpaul

First private Moon landing attempt fails

ispace’s new spacecraft made it within touching distance of the lunar surface, but a last-minute malfunction dashed their hopes of a successful moon landing
Photo: NASA @ Wikicommons

Contact was lost with the HAKUTO-R Mission 1 Lunar Lander, a spacecraft designed and operated by the Japanese company ispace, as it reached the final part of its landing sequence.

Almost a moon landing

Although the craft was still in the correct orientation as it neared the moon’s surface, ispace’s engineers observed a rapid increase in descent speed followed by loss of communications. The company have announced that, based on this evidence, it is thought the craft probably crashed.

Full-size model of Hakuto-R. Photo: Artvil @ Wikicommons

“Although we do not expect to complete the lunar landing at this time, we believe that we have fully accomplished the significance of this mission, having acquired a great deal of data and experience by being able to execute the landing phase,” said Takeshi Hakamada, founder and CEO of ispace.

Lessons learnt

All of the knowledge and data the team gained during the mission will be fed directly into preparations for the upcoming Mission 2 in 2024, including the valuable experience of executing the landing sequence. ispace’s engineers are also carrying out a detailed analysis of the cause of the mission failure to fix the problem for future landings.

Mission 1 was carrying a range of instruments built by collaborators, including the UAE’s Rashid rover, and a robot developed by the Japanese Space Agency (JAXA).

Moving forward

“As a fellow Japanese space enthusiast, I am proud of ispace’s challenge and respect the efforts of everyone involved. ispace will analyse the data obtained from this mission and use it as a foundation for the next mission,” said Hiroshi Yamakawa, president of JAXA.

Hot on the heels of Starship’s spectacular maiden voyage, Mission 1’s failure is yet another reminder that space exploration isn’t easy, despite our past successes.

What Game Theory reveals about the science of cooperation

Game theory is the science of competition and cooperation. It seeks to reveal the best strategies which bring you maximum gain. What does it show about life and the world around us?

Celebrating 70 years of science at CERN

As the 70th anniversary of CERN approaches, we investigate the origins and history of the organisation whilst asking questions about the future of the laboratory; what’s next? And how can it align its ambition for research with the modern world’s needs for sustainability?  

Why are you laughing: The science of humour

While humour is an innate part of being human, dating back to ‘primate laughter’, exactly what makes something funny is still mostly unknown

In conversation with The Lion King’s Head of Masks and Puppets

The Mancunion was fortunate enough to attend an Insight Session at the Lyceum Theatre and sit down with The Lion King’s Head of Masks and Puppets Joseph Beagley to learn more about the science behind his craft