alfiecumberworth

The University of Manchester announces new environmental Master’s program

The new Master’s will focus on the social change needed to tackle the environmental crisis
Photo: Wikimedia Commons

The University of Manchester has announced a new Master’s program, aimed at studying the behavioural and societal change needed to tackle the human-induced environmental crisis.

The new MA, titled Social Change, Environment and Sustainability, will be based within the Sociology Department and the University’s Sustainable Consumption Institute. It will be led by Dr Daniel Welch.

The course will teach students about the societal and behavioural change required to tackle the climate crisis, as well as teaching social science research skills, equipping students with the knowledge on how to devise climate-based social policy.

The course offers a “social scientific perspective” for students to study climate change. Students will study the need to transform society towards a focus on sustainability, with the course being grounded in sociological theory.

The course will tackle both theoretical and empirical understandings of sociology. Taught subjects range from energy use, biodiversity, and the limits to economic growth.

It is expected that graduates of the course will be suited to work in industries such as corporate social responsibility, government, non-governmental organisations, and the charities.

The University’s Sociology Department is ranked 5th in the UK. Students will need a 2:1 honours degree, or international equivalent, in Sociology or another Social Science for their application to be considered.

Students with a Humanities degree with “demonstrable research skills” can also apply, with their applications being considered only in “exceptional circumstances”.

The course is not currently open to applications, with the course subject to approval at the time of writing. If approved, the course will start in 2024.

University round-up: new 24/7 helpline, (nearly) oldest-ever graduate, and a rise in burglaries

Read the latest news from UK universities, featuring a new 95-year-old graduate and the rollout of a new 24/7 helpline service

Students’ Union release statement in response to “Pro-Life Society” petition

The Students’ Union Exec team has released a statement outlining their legal position in regards to the creation of and affiliation with new societies

Students’ Union addresses new Freedom of Speech Act

The government’s new Higher Education (Freedom of Speech) Act will come into force from 1 August 2024 and aims to be a provision for freedom of speech and academic freedom across universities and Students’ Unions

Protestors converge on University Green

Protests converge at the University Green, where Students Against Tyranny met with counter-protests from groups including Manchester Leftist Action and the Socialist Worker Student Society