roshniweatherley

New contractor set to replace Blackboard in 2025

Blackboard finds itself set to be replaced by Canvas as the University’s primary digital learning environment in 2025
Credit: Merve Selcuk Simsek @ Unsplash

In November 2023, it was revealed that the University is going to replace Blackboard with Canvas by Instructure in 2025. 

The article reveals that over the summer of 2023, over 260 students and staff sampled three different systems to decide which would be the best to implement. 

After the university consultation and decision making process, Canvas was selected to be Blackboard’s successor. 

The University will now begin a “discovery phase” – “where, over the next three months, we will work with them [Canvas] to configure the system to our needs in a way that works for students, staff and the University as a whole.”

Canvas by Instructure was launched in 2011 and has been adopted by other universities in the United Kingdom, including the University of Liverpool, the University of Newcastle, and Swansea University.

According to Instructure, they are “partnering with an increasing number of UK institutions to streamline their digital tools and content and create a more collaborative and engaging learning experience.”

Kenny Nicholls, the General Manager at Instructure, said “We are looking forward to partnering with these forward-looking institutions to meet their long-term digital goals.”

In recent years, universities have not renewed their contracts with Blackboard – University College London ended their partnership with Blackboard in the spring of 2022, in addition to Johns Hopkins University in the United States. 

Manchester Museum named finalist for Museum of the Year 2024

After relaunching only last year, Manchester Museum is one step closer to becoming the Art Fund Museum of the Year

The Women in Media Conference returns for 2024

The conference will take place on Saturday May 4 in the Students’ Union

MPs launch investigation into university reliance on international student fees

As the government pushes to cut down migration numbers, the education select committee begins an investigation into the reliance of universities on international student fees

Senate elections and explainer: what is it and who is on it?

It has been a busy time for university elections in the last month. As well as SU executive elections, the Senate has elected new members to the board. Read on to understand what the Senate’s role is and who makes up the membership