jacobainsworth

Preview: Maltese indie eccentrics GENN to play Gulliver’s in the Northern Quarter

Owing as equally to Joy Division as they do to Maltese poetry, GENN are to arrive in Manchester to showcase their ambitious debut LP
Credit: Jordan Core

It’s fair to say that GENN’s debut LP is a peculiar record. Part post-punk angst, part psychedelic solace, part folk-rock wandering, Unum sees the indie four-piece grapple with their heritages – both musical and cultural. This can best be described by the band’s press release:

“In Unum, the band wanted aspects of Maltese heritage to bleed into its sound. Janelle felt inspired by the fingerstyle guitars and raw spirit of Għana, a kind of traditional folk music. ‘Calypso’, in all its jazz-indebted catharsis, was named for the island her mother hails from; she had a vision of it being embodied as a destructive mermaid. From Leona’s perspective, its lyrics are a homage to the Maltese poet and playwright Mario Azzopardi, who left an indelible effect on her use of language.”

Credit: DHP Family

GENN’s music is a lucid exploration, each member using their instruments as a way of mediating their pasts into their present. However, how will they sound live? Conjured up in the safe confines of the studio space, the record shows that the group’s ambition is certainly there. But is the execution there too for the live stage? GENN’s forward-thinking, genre-blending LP seems either custom-made for the visceral immediacy of a small venue, or destined to awkwardly amble its way through murky pub backrooms… punters interested, yet confused.

The group’s upcoming show at Gulliver’s seems an ideal destination to work out whether oddity gem Unum can become a tour-proof success. Cultures will converge, genres will liquidate, conventional songwriting will be cast aside. GENN’s Manchester show could be a fascinating, crucial show in their fast-moving development.

In Gulliver’s upstairs gig area, GENN’s Joy Division-meets jazz-rock-meets-Ghana-folk sound will be put to the test in the birthplace of the post-punk bass hook. Tickets are available here.

Jacob Ainsworth

Jacob Ainsworth

20, he/him, UoM, Film Studies & English Literature. deputy music editor, writer, musician, illustrator and full-time Jarvis Cocker enthusiast

Post-Punk: Why it needs to die, and what’s next

Having dominated the focus of alternative radio for several years, Post-Punk has reached peak saturation and must make way for something new

Tate McRae live in Manchester: A pop megastar in the making

At just 20 years old, pop sensation Tate McRae delivers an incredible live performance in Manchester for her THINK LATER world tour

Taylor Swift’s The Tortured Poets Department: The New Testament (Taylor’s Version)

For those who are willing to commit to the journey, The Tortured Poets Department is an indie-Swift Bible

Priya Ragu Live in Manchester: A genre blending masterclass at Night and Day

Swiss-Tamil artist Priya Ragu brought her powerful grooves to Night and Day, inspiring more than just music out of its audience