sofiabrooke

Mauritian society wins Pitchit! final

The society won 1,500 pounds after pitching an idea for a food stall on campus
Mauritian society wins Pitchit! final
Credit: University of Manchester

The Mauritian Society has won the Pitchit! final with their culinary scheme to introduce Mauritian cuisine on campus which includes food like dholl-puri and alouda.

A variety of societies took part in the PitchIt! entrepreneurship competition to try and win money for their society’s ventures.

After pitching their presentations to a panel of judges and students at the Engineering Building on the March 15, six societies won money to fund their projects.

Vice-president of the winning society, Haadia Bahemia, told The Mancunion: “We’re very excited about the project, we’ve always thought about bringing Mauritian food on campus since around Manchester we cannot find Mauritian food.”

Haadia added that the diverse cuisine of Mauritius will be a great addition to Manchester’s diverse campus.

The committee plan to use the money to set up the stall and buy cooking equipment and ingredients.

Mind Body Soul society came second and secured £1,250 for a day-long wellness festival for students.

In addition, Scalpel Surgical Society won £1,250 for a surgical fair experience day and BA Economics Society secured £1,000 to create a website that assists students in accessing internships.

Public Health Society was granted £250 to organise an educational murder-mystery style game that raises awareness about diseases.

The Actuarial Society also won £250, and they plan to use their money to help students learn more about the Actuarial profession.

Pitchit! has been running since 2020, after the University of Manchester Masood Entrepreneurship Centre (MEC) and the Students’ Union opened discussions on how to encourage entrepreneurship among students.

This year’s panel of judges were Lee Pugalis, Deputy Director of the MEC, and Dan Syder who is Ecosystem Development Manager of the MEC.

The other two judges were Katie Jackson, Humanities Officer at the SU, and Giorgia Ravera, Sustainability Coordinator.