samuelchamberlain
23rd May 2024

Live at Leeds in the Park preview: Ringing in the north’s festival season

Live at Leeds returns once again for 2024 – find out all you need to know here!
Credit: Live at Leeds

Returning to Temple Newsam for its third instalment, Live at Leeds in the Park will ring in the north’s 2024 festival season on May 25.

Known for bringing the best of British talent to Yorkshire, the one-day event is an occasion to look forward to every year, featuring 40 artists across five stages. Live at Leeds launched in 2007 as a metropolitan festival to mark the city’s 800th birthday, before the outdoor event Live at Leeds in the Park was established in 2022.

Previous line-ups for the metropolitan festival have included notable names such as Wolf Alice, Catfish and the Bottlemen, and Ed Sheeran at early stages in their careers, demonstrating how its organisers have an eye for new and emerging talent.

Headlining The Cockpit main stage this year, named after the beloved Leeds venue forced to close its doors in 2014, is The Kooks, succeeding previous headliners Bombay Bicycle Club and Two Door Cinema Club. Cherished by many for 00s hits such as ‘Naïve’ and ‘She Moves In Her Own Way’, the Brighton band blends indie rock nostalgia and catchy pop hooks which are sure to instigate many a singalong moment.

Warming up the crowd for them will be Declan McKenna, London’s indie darling who has recently released his third album What Happened to the Beach?, Sea Girls, and Melanie C. Leeds star Corinne Bailey Rae will present her latest album, Black Rainbows, in a specially crafted performance exclusive to the festival, while South Africa’s Baby Queen, Glasgow’s treasured Dylan John Thomas, and Edinburgh’s Vistas will round off the main stage line-up.

Credit: Lucy Craig @ The Mancunion

Highlights from the CLASH Big Top include headliners The Cribs, another popular Yorkshire act, bringing their raw, energetic mix of gritty punk, catchy indie and unpolished garage rock to the festival. Baltimore-based Future Islands will provide a departure from the festival’s guitar-led indie rock, opting instead for sleek synth pop backed by crooning, drawling vocals.

Also appearing are Ealing’s White Lies, Buckinghamshire’s Baxter Dury and Leicester’s Billy Nomates, the latter of which has been receiving substantial support from BBC 6 Music and BBC Introducing. Liverpool’s post-punk experimentalists Courting will open the stage after releasing their second album New Last Name in January and will be followed by Antony Szmierek, who performed at this year’s Northern Music Awards in Manchester, as well as SPRINTS, who are similarly achieving growing recognition and popularity.

Credit: PA / Nordoff & Robbins

The Temple, named after the festival’s site, will feature performances from Liverpool indie band Circa Waves and Twickenham’s Mystery Jets, alongside Irish export The Academic, who are renowned for their vibrant indie rock centred around themes of youth, relationships, and personal growth. Manchester’s own The Slow Readers Club will also take to the stage, bringing their dark, atmospheric, introspective and genre-hopping sound following a performance from Wirral’s The Mysterines.

The DIY stage this year is more focused on emerging pop acts. It features Orla Gartland, who has recently gained a rise in popularity thanks to her involvement as a member of the band FIZZ, and Nieve Ella, who undoubtedly will be drawing in her immensely dedicated fanbase. Good Neighbours and Cosmo Pyke will also perform, both having experienced viral hits in the form of ‘Home’ and ‘Chronic Sunshine’ respectively. The Dork Hype stage is also bound to be a great place to discover new music, featuring bands such as HotWax, Overpass, and Lucia & The Best Boys. Additionally, the stage will be opened by Velkro, winners of the festival’s apply to play competition who describe themselves as “a gothic wet dream.”

Credit: Live at Leeds

Live at Leeds in the Park is guaranteed to be a brilliant day, showcasing a huge array of both established and emerging acts spanning genres, styles and demographics: there’s sure to be something for everyone regardless of age or taste. With nearly as many food traders as performers and a returning craft beer tent, this is more than a one-day music festival. It’s an occasion for people from all walks of life to dance, eat, drink, celebrate, and experience some of their favourite artists’ live sets.

Fat White Family’s Lias Saoudi is circling around the Post-Punk cul-de-sac

Now that Fat White family have returned with ‘Forgiveness Is Yours’, lead-singer Lias Saoudi has a lot more to say about post-punk, lyricism, and being a Londoner

Peter Bibby – Drama King: A tragic and unpredictable opus

Infusing the classic songwriting of Dylan and Springsteen with Australian wit and dive bar narratives, Peter Bibby’s latest album constantly surprises

Tenacious D live in Manchester: The metal bring the fire

Jack Black’s rock-comedy project Tenacious D stopped off in Manchester on their ‘Spicy Meatball’ tour, performing to 20,000 fans at the AO Arena

Sour Grapes Records’ ‘Meltchester’: Mancunion music community at its finest

Manchester’s own Sour Grapes Records brings Meltchester to town again at Projekts Skatepark