rebecca-cocking

Live: Kurt Vile @ Sound Control

The guy’s got solid Americana sensibilities.

Kurt Vile
Sound Control, Manchester

‘Angel/demon/human’ sings Kurt Vile on the title track of his most recent album. It’s an unnerving hybrid but also an apt reflection of Vile himself and the eternally revolving nature of his music. Onstage at Sound Control, the Philadelphian guitarist alternates between menacing stares and gentle ‘thank you’s whilst strumming even more confusing loops around each other. It’s this distinctive (if slightly schizophrenic) personality, underpinned by solid Americana sensibilities that has set Kurt Vile apart from the slew of other lo-fi soloists and earned critical acclaim for his fourth album, Smoke Ring For My Halo.

Tonight’s performance shows that much of this is owed to Vile’s backing band, The Violators who not only manage to keep up with their front man’s volatility but also respond with equal innovation. Consisting of just guitar, bass and a basic drum kit, they untangle original compositions and re-plait melodies into even more mind-boggling arrangements than those of their recorded counterparts. The Violators’ modest set up also lends itself well to Vile’s acoustic tunes. Spine-tingling love song, ‘Baby’s Arms’ suddenly sounds far more sinister when punctuated only by a pounding war drum and Vile’s evil stare over the microphone.  

Angels and demons aside, it’s Vile’s human side that prove to be the most powerful tonight. He spaces out during the show and occasionally sings in incomprehensible monotone but somehow this fallibility only serves to highlight the transcendental nature of the music he creates. 

Rebecca Cocking

Rebecca Cocking

Former Music Web Editor (2011-2012).