Make up to get down

Halee Wells tackles the age-old problem of workout make-up.

“OMG. He’s here. He’s here and I have no makeup on. Kill me now!”

Let’s be honest, we’ve all been there. Braving bare faced beauty in public is bad enough without your crush seeing you totally au naturel.

Unfortunately the once-quiet workout spot in your local hometown is now a university social hub equipped with hotties, friends and coursemates. Statistics show that 7 out of 10 women admit to wearing makeup to the gym, so how can we perfect this minimal look without finding it sliding onto our sports bras minutes later?

Base

Your perfected-dewy-glow everyday routine isn’t going to cut it here. Think “mattify” or say “goodbye” to your post-workout dignity. If you’re a skin conscious gal like myself, a powder-based foundation is best for you. Award-winning bareMinerals Matte SPF foundation (£25) is a great choice for the gym, banishing any shine and any embarrassment when your friend starts checking her reflection in your face!

picture: Sephora.com

picture: Sephora.com

If you’re blessed with clearer skin, keep it bare or stick to just a concealer to hide those pesky late-night-essay eyes or the odd blemish. Collection 2000 Lasting Perfection Concealer is a beauty guru fave and not too harsh on the student budget either! (£4.19 at Boots)

picture: Collection Cosmetics

picture: Collection Cosmetics

Eyes

When reinacting a Baywatch run towards your crush on the treadmill, nothing says Pamela-chic like a sultry glance. Cheap and cheerful Maybelline Great Lash Mascara (£4.99) won’t move a muscle whilst you’re busting yours, and besides, everybody loves cute packaging. It’s a gym bag must!

picture: Maybelline Cosmetics

picture: Maybelline Cosmetics

Eyebrows

If your eyebrows are a little on the sparse side and you’re channelling more Voldemort than Ms.Delevingne, try using a pigmented brow gel. Me Me Me cosmetics’ Arch Angel brow and highlighter gel is a great 2-in-1 must-have (£8.50). Not only will it thicken out your wispy brows but it will also add a subtle highlight to compliment your post work out glow.

Lips

Perfect your pout with a simple swipe of lip butter or balm. Nivea Pearly Shine will not only moisturise your lips, but give them a subtle shine and shimmer too. (£2.29 Superdrug)

picture: Nivea

picture: Nivea

So that’s it girls, whilst you’re working towards that perfect bikini bod, you’ll now have a flawless face to assist you along the way, voilà!