lisamurgatroyd

AU Social returns to Students’ Union

“Audio Hijack,” a monthly special at the Union will welcome the AU social

On Wednesday 13th February, the longest running student night returns to the Students’ Union. The AU Social has been absent since 2000, and will be back for a monthly special for the remainder of term.

Gold Teeth and Fresh Fridays will each have a room, in the night branded “Audio Hijack”.

For the last two years, it has been held every Wednesday at Tiger Tiger, run by promotions company Funk Events. First starting at the Students’ Union in 1993/1994, what was then called “Horny” became a regular feature in the social calendar.

Every summer the contract is open to bids from clubs in Manchester. At the end of 2011/2012 academic year, a vote was held asking students where they would like to see the night and the overwhelming majority was in favour of moving to the SU. However, renovation of the building was not guaranteed to be completed by Welcome Week, so the Athletic Union chose to use Tiger Tiger for another year.

Andy Cowan, Chair of the AU, seems optimistic for future plans. “This is what the students wanted, and we’re looking forward to working with everyone at the Students’ Union. It’s more accessible for everyone, and hopefully it’ll be a success.

“Think of this as a trial run.”

“It’s becoming less popular and a bit empty at Tiger Tiger,” said Asher Hillsmith, President of the Equestrian Team. “The Students’ Union might be more of a selling point and feel busier.”

Fourteen AU teams as opposed to the usual six will be selling tickets in a big promotional push, and they will also be available for purchase from the Students’ Union shop.

The next night at the SU will be on Wednesday 13th March, continuing weekly at Tiger Tiger in the meantime.