evie-hull

Black History Month

A team of students are heading up Black History Month celebrations; here’s how you can get involved.

Over the next few weeks, we will be highlighting Black History Month through engagement with BME Student Officer Tanisha Douglas and a small team of contributors. The theme for the year is empowering, enlightening and celebrating BME cultures. You can find out more on Twitter (@bmemcr) or on Facebook (facebook.com/BMEMCR) or by attending one of their many events, details of which are all available online.

“At first, Black History Month didn’t have much significance to me as an individual.

“I never participated in any of the activities organised by the school and it wasn’t because I had anything against it, but it did not appeal to me, nor made me understand why we had to learn about the same people every year.

“Growing up, I have realised that Black History Month is more than just repetitively looking at great people that have made history. It is a time to reflect on how their braveness have shaped the identity of being part of a black community. It gives us the opportunity to see how one ‘race’ participated in making Britain, most importantly Manchester, a multicultural place. 

“Black History Month is warmly welcomed in Manchester, which is very positive because it shows that other ‘races’ are willing to learn more about one another and that effort as well as positivity could result to a healthy multicultural society where there is less racism and stereotypes of each other.

“I think by far Black History Months (BHM) succeeds in widening participation as it doesn’t restrict participation to race, profession nor age group but it invites everyone and anyone to use history has a tool to engage, empower, unite and create a better multicultural Manchester.”

Article kindly provided by Diana Khasa.

In conversation with the Feminist Collective: “It’s about making sure that no one’s voice goes unheard”

The Mancunion sat down with the University of Manchester’s Feminist Collective to talk about their society values, their plans for the year ahead, and intersectional feminism

Review: Tiramisu (UMDS)

Tiramisu, which was performed at the University of Manchester SU, is an excellently existential adaptation of Annie Baker’s The Antipodes

Review: Skies in the Cloud (UMDS)

Skies in the Cloud exhibits intimate and ethereal themes, showcasing the talent of UMDS students

Review: Stump (UMDS)

The Mancunion reviews Stum, performed by the University of Manchester Drama Society at The Brewers in Gay Village