alyssa-vongapai
31st October 2014

Live: Other Sounds Society Halloween

It was an unusual random lineup but it was fitting for a bunch of open-minded music connoisseurs on a Monday night

27th October

Fuel

6.5/10

Other Sounds Society is known for their appreciation in eclectic taste in music, ranging from obscure techno to math rock. Their second monthly DIY gig slot at Fuel comprised of the penetrative racket of Werk from the label I HATE MY RECORDS, flamboyant jazz punk Ask my Bull, alt-lit spoken word artist Zach Roddis and ethereal confessional not -so–teen-pop Hume. It was an unusual random lineup but it was fitting for a bunch of open-minded music connoisseurs on a Monday night.

To wake everyone up, Werk serenaded the audience with their industrial noise, continuously blowing people’s brains out. Whether you wanted to or not, they mesmerized you with rough and rusty melodies in the dark. It was like opening a jewelry box, but hearing an extremely loud fascinating generator instead. And rather than seeing a spinning ballerina, the visuals on the ceilings hypnotized you: the cutout scenes ranged from the inevitable Nosferatu and Adventure Time, which accommodated the doom DIY mood.

An odd but very fitting addition is Zach Roddis, proving that punk rock poetry does still exist. He filled the room with laughter through his YOU ONLY LIVE 50 million times theory. Whether you found his confident performance patronising or not, you got to admit he is talented and amusing in pop culture quirky manner.

The energy generated from Ask My Bull exceeded any expectations. Their uplifting intense jazz psychedelic trip made turned the room into a lively house party. I don’t think anyone was just tapping their toes. The band included: they danced in their animal onesies, delivering more surreal and elaborated funk each time. Hume ended the night with their calm experimental songs but embellished with an exquisite raspy pubescent voice you didn’t want to stop hearing.

Showcasing the eccentric and experimental talented bands/poets at Fuel, reflects what the other sounds society is all about.

Liam Gallagher and John Squire: Not quite a match made in Britpop Heaven

After the much anticipated collaboration between Oasis’ Liam Gallagher and John Squire, of Stone Roses fame, the LP ‘Liam Gallagher and John Squire’ ultimately falls flat

International Women’s Day at Radio 6 Music Festival: Gossip headline CMAT and Afrodeutsche

Artists Gossip, CMAT, and Afrodeutsche were on the line-up at BBC 6 Music Festival for a musical celebration of International Women’s Day

Young Fathers bring community together at 6 Music Festival

Young Fathers, Hak Baker, and Sherelle launch the first day of 6 Music Festival, situated for a second year in Manchester

Snow Strippers live at The White Hotel: The industrial EDM future is in good hands

The Florida duo Snow Strippers are successfully reviving a lost EDM sound which infected pop music throughout the late 2000s and early 2010s. Here they came to Manchester to showcase this new, revised sound in the dark, dingy White Hotel in Salford