2nd December 2010

David Cameron Half-term report

George Robinson, Boarding master and head of house reviews David Cameron’s half term progress

David Cameron
Half Term Report

George Robinson, Boarding Master and Head of House

Note from the Headmaster: I am delighted with David’s progress this term. He’s settling in well, and has found a whole gang of new friends. When he first started David was getting a lot of hassle from some boys who were bigger than him; I remember another young David was particularly cruel. These issues seem to have resolved themselves, as they so often do, and I am looking forward to another term with a pupil who is a delight to teach.

Citizenship: This subject is new to our school, an unfortunate consequence of some well meaning government initiative. Despite some of our own reservations, David is very enthusiastic. He is very vocal in class; talking earnestly about “the National Interest” and “Britishness”. He seems particularly keen to emphasise his cosmopolitan upbringing; he has several times repeated an anecdote involving a black man who served in the navy for forty years. B

Economics: David lacks confidence in economics. He relies on one of his smaller friends, master Gideon, to help him out. I regret to inform you that I suspect David may be copying some of young Gideon’s work. Even worse, Gideon himself seems to be myopic in his approach. I have noticed that he only reads samples of the selected texts. And this has fostered a very rigid and orthodox approach to the subject. Gideon seems to be keen to put what he has learned into practice; he has been lecturing some of the younger boys on financial prudence, and reprimanding those who spend to lavishly on lunch. This behaviour has to stop. I have already informed Gideon’s parents and I would be grateful if you could have a word with David about his behaviour toward the other boys. C-

Music: David loves music. Unfortunately, his interest seems to be in the entirely wrong sort. I apologise if I am overstepping the mark, but I think it outrageous that someone so young could be allowed to listen to band called “The Killers”. It is a truly vulgar name, Worse, I suspect David really has more traditional taste than he leads his peers to believe. And that his professed love for what he describes as “indie music” is really more a kind of youthful posturing that reflects a deep-seated desire for popularity. David’s attitude toward music does really reflect all of the worst facets of his character. D

Modern Languages: David has shown certain hostility toward learning French and German. I think this reflects a slightly Euro-sceptic attitude which seems to be developing in the school. I assure you that this is an issue that the staff are addressing. I will keep you updated. B

Extra-Curricular Activities

Debating Society – David is secretary of our school debating society. The chair is an older, slightly bookish boy named William. David is a confident public speaker and address complex issues with a notable simplicity. A few of the staff have mentioned that his speeches do have a certain air of smugness; this is something David should work on if he is keen to pursue this interest in the future.

Cross Country – David was never particularly talented at rugby. He has shown a measure of talent for running and the staff have tried to encourage this.

Voluntary Service Organisation (VSO) – David talks a lot about volunteering. He speaks passionately about the need to foster “strong and vibrant” communities. His words have yet to be backed with action, and we will have to wait and see how the VSO develops with David as its chair.

Lower entry requirements for international students? An international student’s perspective

Universities have been accused of offering international students lower entry grade requirements, but what does this reveal about our higher education institutions, and how does it affect the way international students are viewed?

Graduation looms. Please don’t send me out into the big bad world

With the curtain closing on my student days, I’m anxiously anticipating life after graduation – and I’m not handling it well