• Prisoner released early to attend freshers’ week

ruth-wildman
22nd September 2011

Prisoner released early to attend freshers’ week

A woman who should have served 18 months for possession with intent to supply has been released to attend her freshers’ week.

An 18-year-old woman who was caught with £800 worth of class A drugs in her bra was released from prison so she could attend freshers’ week at Middlsex University.

The drugs were found concealed in Daniella Jade Lewis’ underwear after police pulled over the car she was travelling in.

Lewis admitted to the possession of heroin and cocaine with intent to supply, but said the drugs were not hers and that she did not know they were class A.

She was sentenced to 18 months in a young offenders’ institution, but was released after just three months so she could attend university.

In her appeal last week she claimed that she would lose her place at university if she was not released.

Her lawyers claimed that her release would allow her “to become a constructive member of society”.

The court of appeal heard how she had been given a firm place at the university and the judge Mr Justice Lloyd-Jones ruled that she had “unusual mitigation” as she had secured a place at university, had been previously employed and had a good education.

He said the sentence “was excessive to a degree whereby the court could interfere” and reduced her sentence to six months.

Ruth Wildman

Ruth Wildman

Former News Editor (2011-2012).

Union Assembly votes to keep police off campus

A motion severely limiting police presence on campus was passed by a large majority at the first Union Assembly
Mayor’s Question Time: Andy Burnham faces questions from Manchester students

On September 29 Andy Burnham, the Mayor of Greater Manchester, answered student’s questions at a Question Time event, with issues ranging from transport and housing to the monarchy and devolution
Exclusive: SU secures £360,000 in funding to help with cost-of-living crisis

Exclusive: The SU has announced £360,000 in funding from the University of Manchester to help students with the cost-of-living crisis
Greater Manchester Student Assembly petition for £1.50 cap on student bus fares

Five student unions in the Greater Manchester area, collectively called the Greater Manchester Student Assembly, have written to Andy Burnham, the Mayor of Greater Manchester, to petition him for a £1.50 cap on public transport for students.