• Millions of ‘contraceptives’ won’t work

ruth-wildman
23rd September 2011

Millions of ‘contraceptives’ won’t work

Women in the US may have become unintentionally pregnant after the incorrect labeling of the contraceptive pill produced by the Alabama based company Qualitest

Women in the US may have become unintentionally pregnant after the incorrect labeling of the contraceptive pill produced by the Alabama based company Qualitest.

The pharmaceutical company has recalled 1.4 million packets of the contraceptive pill due to a packaging error that has left women taking an incorrect mix of drugs.

This could result in inadequate protection for women taking the contraception pill, leaving them at risk of unwanted pregnancy.

A pharmacist noticed the mistake and contacted the company, who have advised those women taking the medication to switch to a non-hormonal contraceptive whilst the issue is dealt with.

Qualitest is adamant that they will rectify the mistake, but many women aren’t convinced. “I’m not sure how the drug company is going to be able to “rectify” countless unintended pregnancies,” said Lane Moore, writing on the website Jezebel.

Ruth Wildman

Ruth Wildman

Former News Editor (2011-2012).

Mayor’s Question Time: Andy Burnham faces questions from Manchester students

On September 29 Andy Burnham, the Mayor of Greater Manchester, answered student’s questions at a Question Time event, with issues ranging from transport and housing to the monarchy and devolution
Exclusive: SU secures £360,000 in funding to help with cost-of-living crisis

Exclusive: The SU has announced £360,000 in funding from the University of Manchester to help students with the cost-of-living crisis
Greater Manchester Student Assembly petition for £1.50 cap on student bus fares

Five student unions in the Greater Manchester area, collectively called the Greater Manchester Student Assembly, have written to Andy Burnham, the Mayor of Greater Manchester, to petition him for a £1.50 cap on public transport for students.
Oversubscription leads to quarter-million pound pay-out for Manchester freshers

Oversubscription has caused over 100 University of Manchester freshers to take £2500 pay-outs from the University to live in Liverpool as the demand for Halls of Residence exceeds the supply.