ruth-wildman
23rd September 2011

Millions of ‘contraceptives’ won’t work

Women in the US may have become unintentionally pregnant after the incorrect labeling of the contraceptive pill produced by the Alabama based company Qualitest

Women in the US may have become unintentionally pregnant after the incorrect labeling of the contraceptive pill produced by the Alabama based company Qualitest.

The pharmaceutical company has recalled 1.4 million packets of the contraceptive pill due to a packaging error that has left women taking an incorrect mix of drugs.

This could result in inadequate protection for women taking the contraception pill, leaving them at risk of unwanted pregnancy.

A pharmacist noticed the mistake and contacted the company, who have advised those women taking the medication to switch to a non-hormonal contraceptive whilst the issue is dealt with.

Qualitest is adamant that they will rectify the mistake, but many women aren’t convinced. “I’m not sure how the drug company is going to be able to “rectify” countless unintended pregnancies,” said Lane Moore, writing on the website Jezebel.

Ruth Wildman

Ruth Wildman

Former News Editor (2011-2012).

Students’ Union release statement in response to “Pro-Life Society” petition

The Students’ Union Exec team has released a statement outlining their legal position in regards to the creation of and affiliation with new societies

Students’ Union addresses new Freedom of Speech Act

The government’s new Higher Education (Freedom of Speech) Act will come into force from 1 August 2024 and aims to be a provision for freedom of speech and academic freedom across universities and Students’ Unions

Protestors converge on University Green

Protests converge at the University Green, where Students Against Tyranny met with counter-protests from groups including Manchester Leftist Action and the Socialist Worker Student Society

University receives accreditation from United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)

The University receives accreditation from the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), joining the ranks of just five universities in the UK to achieve such recognition