ellen-conlon
23rd September 2011

Salford to welcome ‘new Brit School’

A performing arts school based on the principles of London’s Brit School is set to open ‘within two years’

A “new Brit School” could be created in the MediaCity area of Salford by 2013, former education secretary Lord Baker says.

The South London Brit School boasts Adele, Leona Lewis and Jessie J among its alumni. And recent research shows that the school’s former pupils have sold 65 million albums worldwide.

It is the only free performing arts and technology school in the country and part-funded by the annual Brit Awards.

Speaking the 20th anniversary celebrations, Lord Baker congratulated the school on its success and said that it would be “very sensible” to create a new centre.

He chose the area of Salford “because the BBC is going there and it’s becoming a big cultural centre.” He hopes to see the school open within two years.

The curriculum will contain half performing arts and half technology subjects. Lord Baker hopes it will help bring together local companies of all sizes and provide a route for talented students in the North.

Sir George Martin, the Beatles producer who helped established the Brit School, attended the anniversary celebrations. He was there for the opening of a recording studio which has been named after him.

Mayor’s Question Time: Andy Burnham faces questions from Manchester students

On September 29 Andy Burnham, the Mayor of Greater Manchester, answered student’s questions at a Question Time event, with issues ranging from transport and housing to the monarchy and devolution
Exclusive: SU secures £360,000 in funding to help with cost-of-living crisis

Exclusive: The SU has announced £360,000 in funding from the University of Manchester to help students with the cost-of-living crisis
Greater Manchester Student Assembly petition for £1.50 cap on student bus fares

Five student unions in the Greater Manchester area, collectively called the Greater Manchester Student Assembly, have written to Andy Burnham, the Mayor of Greater Manchester, to petition him for a £1.50 cap on public transport for students.
Oversubscription leads to quarter-million pound pay-out for Manchester freshers

Oversubscription has caused over 100 University of Manchester freshers to take £2500 pay-outs from the University to live in Liverpool as the demand for Halls of Residence exceeds the supply.