solomon-radley

Saudi women get right to vote

But they will have to wait until 2015

The king of Saudi Arabia has announced that women will be given the right to vote and stand in elections.

The move has been hailed as a bold shift in the conservative monarchy and marks one of the largest changes in the country’s tightly controlled society since king Abdullah took power six years ago.

Saudi Arabia’s rulers allow elections for only half of the seats on municipal councils, which have few powers, and women will not be afforded the vote until 2015.

Nalia Attar, who organized a campaign for women to be allowed to participate in the municipal council elections, said the move marked the beginning of progress.

“Despite the issue of the effectiveness of these councils, women’s involvement in them was necessary. Maybe after women join there will be other changes,” she said.

Broader issues regarding women’s rights in the country remain unaddressed. Women still require a male relative’s permission to work or leave the country, and they are still forbidden to drive.

Solomon Radley

Solomon Radley

Former News Sub-editor (2011-2012).

Mayor’s Question Time: Andy Burnham faces questions from Manchester students

On September 29 Andy Burnham, the Mayor of Greater Manchester, answered student’s questions at a Question Time event, with issues ranging from transport and housing to the monarchy and devolution
Exclusive: SU secures £360,000 in funding to help with cost-of-living crisis

Exclusive: The SU has announced £360,000 in funding from the University of Manchester to help students with the cost-of-living crisis
Greater Manchester Student Assembly petition for £1.50 cap on student bus fares

Five student unions in the Greater Manchester area, collectively called the Greater Manchester Student Assembly, have written to Andy Burnham, the Mayor of Greater Manchester, to petition him for a £1.50 cap on public transport for students.
Oversubscription leads to quarter-million pound pay-out for Manchester freshers

Oversubscription has caused over 100 University of Manchester freshers to take £2500 pay-outs from the University to live in Liverpool as the demand for Halls of Residence exceeds the supply.