joe-smart

Album: Justice – Audio, Video, Disco

Looking for backing music for a shit remake of Crystal Maze? Walk this way.

Justice
Audio, Video, Disco
Edbanger Records

1 out of 5

Remember Justice? Yeah? Well you’re in for a treat then, sort of. The French duo that took electronic music by storm with their first, and critically acclaimed album † have returned with another album that is set to follow the same formula and change the face the of dance music again. Or is it? After listening to Audio, Video, Disco, it’s clear much has changed.

After the power-hitter that is Justice’s new single ‘Civilization’, the album fades. Too many songs just come and go without any real consequence; in fact, at least a third of the album sounds like it could be backing music for a shit remake of Crystal Maze. For those of you looking for another ‘Phantom Pt. 2’, a song that stood out amongst the other stellar tracks on the first album, you’re out of luck. The duo have cited Queen, The Who and Black Sabbath as influences on this LP, and whilst it’s clear that a homage to these artists exists in some of the tunes – especially the 80s guitar riffs in ‘Parade’ and ‘Newlands’ – it’s unclear as to whether it actually works for them. It often sounds confused. It seems too far removed from what made their first album great – towering drums, haunting, deep base – replaced with MGMT-style vocals and too many faceless instrumentals. It appears to be an altogether more inoffensive listen, which is sad, really. You certainly won’t find a ‘Stress’ on this record.

It will work for some, but not for me. For those who want to hear the Justice of old, avoid this album. If you simply can’t go without listening, brace yourself to be under-whelmed and slightly gutted.

Faye Webster live in Manchester: Artistic vulnerability in the face of the public eye

Atlanta singer-songwriter Faye Webster merged her innovative instrumentals with R&B and indie influences at an ambient gig at the Albert Hall

The Wedding Present live in Manchester: Northern national treasures return to revive 1994 LP Watusi

In 2024, The Wedding Present returned to Manchester to play their 1994 album Watusi in full to a rapturous response

Been Stellar ‘Scream From New York, NY’: An outstanding debut from Dirty Hit’s latest protégés

Dirty Hit’s newest prospect Been Stellar make their musical debut with the Dan Carey produced ‘Scream From New York, NY’

The Girls Aloud Show: A touching return from a legendary girl group

After over ten years away from the stage, pop sensation Girls Aloud bring their reunion tour to Manchester’s AO Arena