danielle-middleton

Manchester’s very own comedy film festival

On 31st October and 1st November Manchester will be playing host to the premier of Cofilmic, the Short Comedy Film Festival. From the mind of Manchester business woman, Janet Harrison, Cofilmic gives aspiring producers, actors, writers, comedians and directors the chance to have their work ogled by the masses and judged by a panel of comedy’s finest. The […]

On 31st October and 1st November Manchester will be playing host to the premier of Cofilmic, the Short Comedy Film Festival.

From the mind of Manchester business woman, Janet Harrison, Cofilmic gives aspiring producers, actors, writers, comedians and directors the chance to have their work ogled by the masses and judged by a panel of comedy’s finest.

The event will take place at The Comedy Store on Deansgate Locks, including the award ceremony on the evening of the 1st November. Get your glad rags out guys and gals, at only £5 for a ticket are you going to miss this fine gem of an oppurtunity?

Looking at those of you who want nothing more than the world to see what gag-busting skills you have to offer, this is the place for you to rub shoulders with the people who’ve got the know-how and what-nots.

The judges thus far include:

Charlie Hanson, BAFTA winning producer whose recent credits include Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant’s TV series Extras, as well as their film Cemetery Junction

Jon Mountague, BBC Comedy North executive producer 

Leslee Udwin, East is East and recently released sequel West is West producer 

Don Ward, founder of The Comedy Store

Lindsay Hughes, Executive Producer and Head of Talent, Baby Cow

Andy Baker, Managing director of global filmmakers community Mofilm

Henry Normal, co-founder of Baby Cow

Cofilmic’s creater, our Janet, produced her first comedy short film in 2010, and was alerted to the lack of support for those trying to make it in the competetive comedy film industry.

The lack of a dedicated comedy film festival, the rich heritage of comedy in the North West and the dwindling amount of support organisations inspired Janet to look at how she could collaborate with comedy and film professionals in the North West.

Cofilmic will also provide an ongoing, professional talent development platform for budding hopefuls.  The overarching aim being to create an environment that may kick-start a whole new era in comedy film making for the UK, based out of Manchester. 

Janet said “I feel the panel events will be beneficial to students as they will have a unique opportunity to hear from and question those directly involved in making, commissioning, writing and filming comedy in the UK.  All are top industry professionals who are currently working in the industry and are extremely well respected.  In addition they will have an opportunity to network with film makers, writers, producers and directors and form collaborations to get their own projects off the ground.  All for free!”

Like your eggs funny? Got some wit to spread on the bread of banter?

Cofilmic opens at The Comedy Store at 1pm on Monday 31st October, go forth and share the laughter.

cofilmic.co.uk

danielle middleton

danielle middleton

Former arts editor (2011-2012).

Review: FACE TO FACE at the Fête of Britain

Brian Eno’s installation FACE TO FACE at Aviva Studios invites focus and contemplation on the state of things and how we might change them.

Surf Cerrito print workshop review: a mini artistic outlet

Miss getting your hands dirty? Explore the artistic opportunities Manchester has to offer, starting off with MMU Surf x Surf Cerrito print workshop. A print workshop, sale and social all in one.

In conversation with Jo Lathwood: Art manifestos, the conflicts of making, and the next realm

The Mancunion chats with installation artist Jo Lathwood, about her new exhibition Making Up, a thought-provoking piece exploring journeys, materials and the environment at Salford Quay’s The Lowry

Indelicate 4.0: Are sex and art mutually exclusive?

The Mancunion explores the magical world of West Art Collective’s fetish and sex-positive art exhibition, Indelicate 4.0. The naughtiest night in Manchester celebrates all things pleasure, desire and sex through art, risqué performances, and workshops