ceri-wills

Society Spotlight: Open Media

Open Media was founded by people with a passion for intellectually challenging documentaries. As a society we aim to promote critical thinking and healthy discussion by screening documentaries that you wouldn’t typically see in mainstream cinema. These free viewings are shown on a fortnightly basis, normally in the Council Chambers of the Student Union, and […]
Society Spotlight: Open Media

Open Media was founded by people with a passion for intellectually challenging documentaries. As a society we aim to promote critical thinking and healthy discussion by screening documentaries that you wouldn’t typically see in mainstream cinema. These free viewings are shown on a fortnightly basis, normally in the Council Chambers of the Student Union, and are welcome to anyone who is interested. We try to show a wide variety of films, selected because we believe they are absorbing and thought provoking. Last year the society covered such topics as corruption in the oil industry, drug smuggling in South America and the difficulty in burying biohazards.

So far this year we have screened Inside Job and The Interrupters, both critically acclaimed works. Inside Job by Charles H. Ferguson outlines the cause and consequences of the recent financial crisis in a way which is well paced and easy to understand even to someone with no knowledge or interest in economics. The Interrupters, directed by Steve James, documents a group of ex-gang members in Chicago, who after past experience have come to understand violence as a public health issue that can be prevented by changing behavioural norms. They attempt to stop gang related violence in the city by interrupting potentially violent situations. This was a particularly exciting event as it was the first UK showing of the film outside of the cinemas. Future screenings include Tears of Gaza, documenting the Gaza conflict through the eyes of children, and Our Generation, which highlights the plight of Aboriginals in Australia.

Following each screening there is an opportunity to discuss with others the issues that the film has raised, and any general comments audience members may have. Open Media has no political inclinations and we welcome views and ideas from across the political spectrum. Some of our upcoming events will include a special presentation by the creator of the film. We hope they will be able to give a unique insight into the subject matter and motivations behind their individual projects

We are happy to receive suggestions from those who are keen to get a particular film shown and have already received many ideas from a number of students. We are also open to work with other societies. As well as being in talks with a few further societies, we are currently collaborating with Manchester Re:Vision Drugs Policy, MSF Doctors Without Borders, Aegis Students and World Development Movement. We look forward to any new partnerships that may develop.

Our next event will be in association with the World Development Movement on Monday, 21st November at 6pm in the Council Chambers of the Student Union.  Bring your friends, housemates, lecturers and lovers!  Join our facebook group at http://www.facebook.com/groups/2383621925/ for more info

Ceri Wills

Ceri Wills

Former Societies editor (2011-2012).

Review: Scooby Doo: The Panto (UoM Panto Society)

Jessica Hamilton reviews Scooby Doo: The Panto at Manchester Academy 2
Missing Money, Broken Membership System: Societies’ Rising Discontent With Student’s Union

UoM’s society committees draw light on a frustrating year of operating under lockdown restrictions alongside an unresponsive Student’s Union
Join Fashion Soc’s Fashion Business Panel Discussion

The University of Manchester’s Fashion society’s fashion business panel discussion with industry speakers
International Women’s Day: Join Women In Business Society’s Female Founders of Manchester Panel

Women in Business society is hosting a panel event highlighting female business owners in Manchester.