dana-fowles
31st January 2012

Money doesn’t grow on trees

The different spectrums of student budgets
Money doesn’t grow on trees

It truly baffles me how some students are able to jet off to the holiday destination of their choice, using money left over from their loans, or better still, their grants.

I was recently informed of how a girl that I used to go to school with had flown out to Paris over the Christmas period. This was, of course, courtesy of a bursary that she receives from coming from a ‘low income background’. She justified her splurge to a friend of mine by claiming that she hadn’t had the same luxuries as some of us while growing up.

Ironic if you ask me; unlike me she has never done a day’s work in her life, yet she has her own car and somehow managed to travel virtually all summer.

Unsurprisingly, I can’t quite get my head around the system. I have two friends whose rent isn’t even covered by the loan which they will eventually have to pay back.

Their parents are expected to fork out for the remainder, the total of which for one amounts to £1,500 a year – on top of having to pay a mortgage and support another child. Have the government never heard of the saying ‘money doesn’t grow on trees’?

Those of us from normal families are expected to find flexible student jobs – which from personal experience seem hard to come by – and simply rack up more debt in the meantime. Fair?

Dana Fowles

Dana Fowles

TWEETING @DanaFowles By day: Lifestyle editor at The Mancunion, aspiring women’s magazine journalist. By night: Lover of gay men and Canal St, prone to believing I am Beyonce on the d floor (embarrassing).

A student-friendly guide to exploring Leeds

Only an hour train journey away from Manchester, Leeds is another great student city well worth a visit!
What’s on in Manchester this July?

What’s on in Manchester this July?

Check out what’s happening in Manchester this July with our guide! We’ve got club nights, culture kicks, music madness and more.
A Fresher’s Guide to: Fallowfield halls

A Fresher’s Guide to: Fallowfield halls

The Mancunion has compiled a comprehensive guide to Fallowfield Halls of Residences to help freshers pick their new home.
A student guide to Sheffield

A student guide to Sheffield

Spending the Summer in Manchester? Find out what Sheffield has to offer as part of our student-friendly travel guide