tom-harris

Hughton finds way to re-generate the Blues

How has Chris Hughton turned Birmingham’s fortunes around?

“When everything seems to be going against you remember that aeroplanes take off against the wind, not with it”. Now, Chris Hughton is not, as far as I am aware, an aviation expert. Hughton though, like Henry Ford, is astutely conscious that overcoming adversity is an essential component of becoming successful. The Birmingham City manager is unquestionably well-acquainted with the concept, having flourished in the football-hotbed of the North East, despite inexplicably being relieved of his duties by the querulous Mike Ashley.

At his current employers, he has operated admirably under greater boardroom uncertainty, with owner Carson Yeung’s money-laundering trial in November meaning loan signings and free transfers are the only viable options in the transfer market. Moreover, it is worth stressing that the Blues have lost twenty first-team players in the last twelve months in a significant cost-cutting exercise. Many fans were desperate to retain the services of their star assets, and were disappointed to see the likes of Sebastian Larsson, Roger Johnson and most recently Liam Ridgewell return to the top echelon of English football.

This mass exodus and complete overhaul at St Andrews has resulted in Birmingham possessing one of the leanest squads in the Championship. European commitments mean 41 fixtures have been completed already and inevitably concern over the impact of burn-out, injuries and suspensions on such a small squad has been mentioned. However, one gets the impression that this will not deter Hughton and his devoted group of players who managed to juggle European fixtures with important League matches without great difficulty.

Birmingham’s European adventure-contrary to what many pundits predicted-appeared to have a positive outcome on the squad with away trips to Belgium, Portugal, and Slovenia helping to develop a tight-knit group. In addition, the squad is arguably one of the fittest in the division with the players used to the habit of both midweek and weekend fixtures. Hughton’s well-documented tactical nous and enjoyable coaching sessions were undoubtedly factors in Birmingham’s European success. Despite failing to qualify, a very respectable 10 points was accrued in a particularly challenging group.

Domestically, the Brummies have recovered in recent months and are now unbeaten in their last 12 games in all competitions. Home is certainly where the heart is for Hughton whose team are unbeaten at St Andrews this season, in contrast to predecessor Alex McLeish, down the road at Aston Villa, who are without a home victory since November. Their success can partly be put down to their strong defence with Steven Caldwell and Curtis Davies helping the team become the best defensive unit in the division; the latter being awarded January’s Championship player of the month.

Hughton’s contribution to the club is all the more impressive considering the absence of household names in the squad with the players buying into the notion that the team comes first. Hughton’s squad does not contain the level of quality that was in his Newcastle United outfit that deservedly claimed the Championship title in 2009/10. During that triumphant campaign Hughton had at his disposal. If Hughton were to achieve promotion with this flying Birmingham City side it would undoubtedly be a more significant achievement than his exploits on Tyneside.