danielle-middleton

Cofilmic’s Final Cut

Following Cofilmic’s launch at the end of October, the evening was another successful one for Cofilmic founder Janet Harrision. The Manchester based comedy film festival is spreading its wings and taking the short film entries around the country. On Tuesday 21st February, Cofilmic came to The Cornerhouse as part of the Exposures festival and showcased […]

Following Cofilmic’s launch at the end of October, the evening was another successful one for Cofilmic founder Janet Harrision. The Manchester based comedy film festival is spreading its wings and taking the short film entries around the country.

On Tuesday 21st February, Cofilmic came to The Cornerhouse as part of the Exposures festival and showcased the talented Michael Jacob (script editor; Birds of a Feather, Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps) and Anton Short (film editor/director).

The two enlightened the audience on the processes that go into editing and their tips on making a successful film. Michael Jacob’s advice at the script end of the stick:

“Writers often feel like they want the audience to know everything, the script editor identifies what needs to be there, what’s necessary, a scene needs to be one thing at a time

“Always helpful to edit and shoot more than you need so you can shape it down to what it should be.”

From Anton Short’s nice and handy slideshow:

1. Know what the film’s about (one clear line)

Idea=logline>Shoot, script, edit

Keep exposition down to a minimum while getting from one scene to another.

2. Lead with your best card

Which part of the story best sums up the film? Get hold of your audience within the first 30 seconds.

Once you’ve got the scene that explains your film, the theme, you can get rid of the rest that says the same thing.

3. Go in as late as possible, get out as early as possible

4. Say the most with the least

5. Kill your babies

Get rid of jokes for the sake of your film.

The advice is applicable outside of film production, so take-heed of those all-knowing in the industry and see if their words of wisdom can help you in your budding career.

danielle middleton

danielle middleton

Former arts editor (2011-2012).

Review: Edith

100 years on from the execution of Edith Thompson, Crowded Room explores if a modern day jury would come to the same conclusion

Review: Head Over Heels

You might not fall Head Over Heels in love with The Go-Go’s musical but it’s the perfect show to see this LGBT+ History Month

Review: Ellen Kent’s La Bohème

Ellen Kent took the audience at Manchester Opera House back in time with her stylish take on Puccini’s La Bohème

Review: Triumphs and Falls (UMDS)

Triumphs and Falls, which was unconventionally performed at Retro, is a strong, complex and relevant play made for a student audience