katie-shepherd

Live: Grouplove @ Ruby Lounge

If tonight was any indication of the summer ahead, it’s going to be wild one.

GroupLove
Ruby Lounge
6th February
4 Stars

Sunday night at The Ruby Lounge opened with a low-key set from Two Wounded Birds, who profess a throwback west coast American rock sound. Two Wounded Birds got their big break when Jonathan Pierce of The Drums refused to go on the NME’s Radar Tour unless these guys were supporting. Having seen the band before, I would conclude that while their sound has since gotten stronger, their energy on stage was lacking.

GroupLove took the stage next and made up for any zeal missing previously from the night. The band is a visual bonanza, jumping and bouncing around the stage during every second of every song. An eclectic mix of personalities, their guitarist sported a cowboy hat and handlebar moustache, making him an easy substitution for a member of Crosby, Stills, and Nash while their bassist with long blonde locks looked like he just stepped off the California coast. The crowd went crazy for ‘Colours’ and ‘Tongue Tied’, and the band pushed through with an explosive version of ‘Slow’ despite difficulty with their earpieces.

Vocalist/guitarist Christian Zucconi took the time to have a quick chat afterwards about how the band, who met randomly in Greece one summer, has taken off. His explanation? Australian radio station Triple J started pushing their music on air and since that time they’ve been asked to do major festivals like Coachella and Bonnaroo. As good as their album, Never Trust a Happy Song, is, live is definitely the way to see this band.

That said, GroupLove put on a great show and are the quintessential American indie rock band. If their night at Ruby Lounge was any indication of the summer ahead, it’s going to be wild one.

Grouplove – Colours (live)

Fat White Family’s Lias Saoudi is circling around the Post-Punk cul-de-sac

Now that Fat White family have returned with ‘Forgiveness Is Yours’, lead-singer Lias Saoudi has a lot more to say about post-punk, lyricism, and being a Londoner

Peter Bibby – Drama King: A tragic and unpredictable opus

Infusing the classic songwriting of Dylan and Springsteen with Australian wit and dive bar narratives, Peter Bibby’s latest album constantly surprises

Tenacious D live in Manchester: The metal bring the fire

Jack Black’s rock-comedy project Tenacious D stopped off in Manchester on their ‘Spicy Meatball’ tour, performing to 20,000 fans at the AO Arena

Sour Grapes Records’ ‘Meltchester’: Mancunion music community at its finest

Manchester’s own Sour Grapes Records brings Meltchester to town again at Projekts Skatepark